1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vision Quest remake

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 22, 2010.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

what was great was that loudon cut like 20 pounds, was dehydrated and shute was twice his size. but loudon wanted it more.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Two-time state champs don't get pinned, either.
    By the way, has anyone else read the book that the movie was based on? It was one of my favorites when I was in high school.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I have seen a state champ get pinned. It can happen; they get caught by another great wrestler and it's over.

I've long loathed wrestling. Part of it is the natural rivalry we had with the wrestlers in high school. We being basketball players. And most wrestling matches I covered were pretty boring. But, the two most exciting prep events I ever covered were...wrestling matches. The team portion was a rout both times. But at 160 pounds, a pair of state champs squared off. One kid was a junior the first year, the other a sophomore. The junior was already a two-time state champ, everyone knew the sophomore would be one. The gym was electric and packed, for this one match. The team score ended up like 60-0 with a bunch of forfeits. Both were unbeaten and this was maybe a week before tourney time. The junior won on a takedown in the final 5 seconds.

The next year, same two. This time the older kid was a three-time champ and the other kid had won a title a year before (different class at state). Again, the team portion was a joke, everyone just waited for the match at 171, as both had moved up. Unreal atmosphere as the spotlight came down on the two. And again, the older kid won on a takedown with 2 seconds left. Those two matches were the only ones that kid lost his final three years. The other wrestler was unbeaten four straight years and those were his two closest matches.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I saw a kid deliberately separate his shoulder to get an escape point in overtime of a high school regional match just to say he beat the other kid. Knocked him out of the semistate the following week. Damnest thing I've ever seen.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Weirdest match I ever saw was at a conference tournament in Wisconsin in 2005. There were two 171-pounders who had been at each other's throats all season.

End of the third period in a tie match, one guy - not the kid I was covering of course - pops up in the other kid's face after they tumbled out of bounds, and snarls, "What the fuck, man?"

DQ. And automatic suspension from his next match - which was going to be the first round of the regional tournament. Season over. Career over. Douchebag... :D

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

wow, seriously? he was dq'd for using profanity. i don't think i've ever seen that. sometimes i've seen kids throw a punch and only lose a point and get warned that the next time is dq.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I was surprised too. This kid definitely had it coming, though. I'd been all over the gym covering matches on three mats, so he very well may have been warned in an earlier match.

His coach tried to do an end run around the DQ and schedule a last-minute dual during the next week. But the state association put the screws to that.

Draft saved Draft deleted