1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virus could change sportswriting forever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Mar 11, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell, eventually the press boxes will be turned into luxury suites as teams and leagues monetize their own content and shut out independent media.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Already happening in NASCAR, as some tracks have replaced largely empty media boxes with paying customers.

playthrough likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's already been done. Media used to get court side seats at NBA and college basketball games; except for a handful of national superstars, everybody's been kicked upstairs into rafter seats.

Plus with the overall decimation of sports staffs everywhere, the total media numbers at games are way, way, way down.

Tweener likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Many years ago, Michigan State added skyboxes to Spartan Stadium by cutting the press box by about half

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At Indy, the old media interview room is now a souvenir shop.

maumann likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just off the top of my head, in the 80s and 90s, at "regular" football games Michigan and Michigan State (ie, non big rivalry) you'd have probably five people from each Detroit paper, five each from each "hometown" paper (Ann Arbor and Lansing), then one or two each from Flint, Saginaw, Midland, Battle Creek, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Traverse City plus a couple dozen small dailies sending one person each. That adds up to probably about 75 people, swelling over 100 for big games. I'd be shocked if that entire assemblage sends 15 today.

I think the Free Press and Lansing put together send 3 or 4. And I bet they pay full price for everything (game ticket, food, parking).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  8. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

College sports are pretty much like this now. The only way to build relationships is during recruiting. You get cell phone numbers of players and family and hope the connection lasts into their actual playing days.

maumann likes this.
  9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

At local Big Time U, the media is still seated courtside. Most of the media sit at the end of the court because TV and radio take up all of the sideline seating, but we're still close.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Heck, I quit covering NASCAR eight years ago, and even then the press box was barren. Between papers cutting coverage and all the new media preferring to be in the infield media center, it was like a retirement home up there.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hated covering Carolina basketball, for no other reason than we'd get placed under the pep band, and the damn trombones would drip spit all over my notebooks. I'd have to remind them to clean their spit valves every other song.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

With all the sports on hiatus, sports sections are going to get a lot thinner
    When I got a job in Florida, I called the paper after I had driven in from Marquette
    I asked to speak to the sports editor
    I was told: “He no longer works here.”
    Since he hired me I asked: “Does that mean I do?”
    I was assured I had my new job, then learned what happened to him
    It was the middle of the baseball strike in 1981 and the staff was writing a column a day about their favorite baseball memories
    Well, 30-so days in people had run out of things to write
    It was the SE’s turn
    He wrote one sentence —This is all I’ve got
    It was the headline and the lede
    Add the column sig and 18 inches of white space and that was the story
    He was gone the next day

Draft saved Draft deleted