1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virgin coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Nov 1, 2006.

1. rgd

rgd Guest

13. Relax.
    14. Don't cheer.

2. umiami06

umiami06 Member

Some questions:
    1. What time should I arrive?
    I'd say 60-90 minutes before the start

2. Should I grab a pro and just tag along?
    Definitely not.

3. Introduce myself to everyone in the press box?
    Maybe the people you are sitting next to.

4. Food? I think I'll just go with the flow...
    Eat whatever is free. Take advantage.

5. Keep my mouth shut during post-game, right? Unless I can think of a good question, I won't say anything. I might interview someone who is free, though. Get my nose dirty.
    You could make some small chat about the game. I wouldn't be asking too many questions.

6. Although it's not a beat, should I be kind and offer my seat to writers on deadline (I'm monthly, but my deadline is still the next day)?
    No, it's your seat.

7. What do I do between periods?
    Grab more food. Grab a drink. Surf the internet. Watch TV. Watch the zamboni. Whatever.

8. If people start leaving early (say, one minute left), should I follow them to the rooms?
    Yeah, probably a good idea.

9. Let the TV folk go first, right?
    Don't worry about them.

Other good advice I saw on here was no talking on cell phone (unless it is extremely urgent or you are talking to your publication). No cheering. And relax and have fun. That's what it's all about.

3. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I'd just sit back and watch everyone else, but don't stare. I wouldn't go around introducing yourself to people, but feel free to make small talk with them. Make sure you shower and your zipper is up.

When in doubt, find the PR intern and ask him/her what to do.

4. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Perhaps Smasher hit on something without meaning to when he/she mentioned the morning skate...you absolutely should go, if possible...it's a lot more relaxed, give you a chance to set the scene in your own mind...you'll find that the players are really good guys (just make it a mission to ask at least one question...even if it's a follow to someone else's question)....I take it you have a reason for working this particular game, so keep that in focus. You have as much right to be there as anyone else, you just haven't paid any dues, yet. But also, do be careful not to get in the way....remember, we all covered our first big time games, and we all have some embarrassing moments we'd like to forget....be yourself, enjoy the experience, and remember that your dateline is not Baghdad...But yeah, do the morning skate....

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some questions:
    1. What time should I arrive?
    Between 60-90 minutes before the game is ample time...

2. Should I grab a pro and just tag along?
    It's never a bad idea to follow the lead of someone who has done it before, but make sure you let them do their job.

3. Introduce myself to everyone in the press box?
    Uh... No...

4. Food? I think I'll just go with the flow...
    Follow the lead of the other writers there.

5. Keep my mouth shut during post-game, right? Unless I can think of a good question, I won't say anything. I might interview someone who is free, though. Get my nose dirty.
    Not necessarily, but if you're not working on deadline, be mindful about those who are.

6. Although it's not a beat, should I be kind and offer my seat to writers on deadline (I'm monthly, but my deadline is still the next day)?
    Not necessarily.

7. What do I do between periods?
    Masterbate.

8. If people start leaving early (say, one minute left), should I follow them to the rooms?
    If you're not on deadline, I wouldn't...

9. Let the TV folk go first, right?
    Never....

10. Anything else...

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you do, make sure you negotiate the price with her first.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Hey, that's my line!! Well, it's actually Steve Martin's so go ahead.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In all honesty...eat. First time I covered a big game I avoided the spread, feeling self-conscious about sitting down with strangers or convinced I'd make a mess or do something otherwise embarrassing. Hours later, on tight deadline, I could barely think straight from being so darn hungry.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Try not to shit yourself.

10. This is not ending well.

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

14. Don't cheer.

For real....Seriously, no cheering in the press box.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's customary to offer to blow the visiting team's captain.

Just a gesture of goodwill.

Draft saved Draft deleted