1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virgin coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Nov 1, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

I'll be covering my first game with other daily media that are far more experienced than I. It's not a beat, but a special game (hockey).

Some questions:
    1. What time should I arrive?
    2. Should I grab a pro and just tag along?
    3. Introduce myself to everyone in the press box?
    4. Food? I think I'll just go with the flow...
    5. Keep my mouth shut during post-game, right? Unless I can think of a good question, I won't say anything. I might interview someone who is free, though. Get my nose dirty.
    6. Although it's not a beat, should I be kind and offer my seat to writers on deadline (I'm monthly, but my deadline is still the next day)?
    7. What do I do between periods?
    8. If people start leaving early (say, one minute left), should I follow them to the rooms?
    9. Let the TV folk go first, right?
    10. Anything else...

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Outing alert -- the_rookie is:

[​IMG]

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

11. Be quiet. Watch and learn. Don't ask so many questions.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Make sure you walk across the team logo in the middle of the floor of the locker room. Several times. Maybe grind a heel into it or hock a loogey on it. The greener the better.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

1. 90 minutes before faceoff is sufficient to be in the building
    2/3. Don't be "that guy." Don't talk just to talk.
    4. Go with it.
    5. Again, don't talk just to talk. If you have a question you need answered, ask it.
    6. They have their own seat.
    7. You eat, you chit chat, you watch TV, you play on the Internet, you join a circle jerk. Go with the flow.
    8. At my NHL city, we generally all leave in a huge clusterfuck with about 30 seconds left (if the game is decided). When everyone else leaves, just follow.
    9. No, crush the TV folk out if at all possible.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think this guy is the part-timer that's always at my desk when I come into the office.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

IIRC, rookie's about 17-18 at most. Don't make him feel bad!!!!

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

11. Stay off your cell phone

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

12. Pick up all the media guides and goodies that they have for you, then call your dad and tell him about it loud enough for half the press box to hear.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Some questions:
    1. What time should I arrive?
    Get there for the morning skate and stay. See if the equipment guy needs any help sharpening the skates. Good way to make a new friend.

2. Should I grab a pro and just tag along?
    Bad form to grab anybody, unless there's a big fight.

3. Introduce myself to everyone in the press box?
    Yes, by all means. Offer to run drinks and quotes for them, too. Again, make friends!

4. Food? I think I'll just go with the flow...
    Why not bring a hibachi and do some grilling? Everyone loves chicken!

5. Keep my mouth shut during post-game, right? Unless I can think of a good question, I won't say anything. I might interview someone who is free, though. Get my nose dirty.
    I still like the idea of asking, "May I quote you?" after every reply. Courtesy like that goes a long way toward making a favorable impression

6. Although it's not a beat, should I be kind and offer my seat to writers on deadline (I'm monthly, but my deadline is still the next day)?
    Offering your seat? Talk about making new friends. Stay out of prison, though, son.

7. What do I do between periods?
    May I suggest karaoke?

8. If people start leaving early (say, one minute left), should I follow them to the rooms?
    Yes, and if they're fakes who scammed a pass to the game because they can't afford tickets, you may follow them to the parking lot, too.

9. Let the TV folk go first, right?
    Only in the rest room.

10. Anything else...
    If there's a team logo on the floor, make sure you stand in the middle of it so the players know you support their team.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

1. Ignore 99 percent of everything you read on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted