1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vinny Testaverde...another HOF argument

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 26, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

With the Edgerrin James thread going strong I wanted to bring up a guy I always argue about with my fanboi Jets fan cousin. He thinks Vinny is HOF material, I say there is no way in Hades.

His career numbers are impressive: 3787-6701 (56.5%) for 46,233 yards and 275 TD. But I think the 267 picks are glaring and in his best season (with the Jets in 1998) his quarterback rating was a career-high 101.6. He also threw more interceptions than touchdowns eight times during his career.

Nice QB, but not HOF worthy. Thoughts?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The guy you argue with is an idiot.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would say probably not. Nice long career, but kind of the Harold Baines of football, as far as that goes. I think the perception of Testaverde is actually harmed by his status coming out of Miami. Heisman Trophy winner and the No. 1 pick. I'm not sure if his career should be judged against expectations or on its own, but in either case, I don't think he measures up. No Super Bowl victories to get him a benefit of the doubt, either.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

No fucking way. The very definition of a compiler. In fact, the dictionary was going to put a pic of Vinny next to the definition, but wanted to be less obvious.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I could not believe he ended up with over 45,000 passing yards. But, yes, compiler is a good word to describe him.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Argument? What argument?

N-O. Only way he's in Canton is if he pays his way in.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No question Testaverde should be in the Hall of Fame.

The College Football Hall of Fame.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

But what about the Orange Bowl?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Never. Never ever. Never ever ever.

He has great stats. So does Drew Bledsoe. So does Dave Krieg.

He had a very long career. He was never great.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How dare you soil the name of Harold Baines with such a ridiculous comparison!

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Everyone loved Harold. Kind of like Frank White, one of those overlooked players that was soooo much better than they get credit for.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Harold Baines has a statue, asshole! Vinny's never getting a statue!

Draft saved Draft deleted