1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Vine has just now come to Droid, from what I've read.

2. krmcguire

krmcguire New Member

With Instagram adding video as a feature to their service, we ay have seen Vine's last stand.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Here's why I still like Vine better, it integrates seamlessly with Twitter. Instagram does not. That's a big fail for Facebook/Instagram, especially with the value of a 6-15 second video being favored in a Tweet versus your news feed.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Matt is right on this one. Instagram not playing nice with Twitter is going to blow up in its face, if the intent is to get the content to as many people as possible.

If the intent is to make cash off of it, which no one is doing right now, then godspeed.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I do like the video filters on Instagram, though. I'll give Facebook that.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Is the Vine video on your site? And if not, how does it help get you pageviews and make $$$?

I understand the importance of bulding engagement via social media, but I often wonder (not having access to good analytics) whether it's driving people to the paper, either online or in print.

7. Houston1

Houston1 Guest

I think Vine is a mobile service that lets you share short looping videos. am I right or not?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't work for a newspaper, I work for a quick-serve restaurant in the advertising department. We can shoot all sorts of food images in 6 seconds and in terms of interaction rates, we can get more virality with a smaller fan base. We have a campaign coming up soon where a few Vine 'influencers" will be posting about our products. I'll report back on the data.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Six seconds? Sign BYH up!

10. JustinLee

JustinLee New Member

I know this thread is ancient, but I thought I'd share how I use Vine on high school football Fridays, in case someone is interested. I noticed that most posting in this thread couldn't find the value in Vine, but I love it. I use it mostly at high school football games, when I'm taking stats on the sidelines. It takes some multi-tasking to do, but it gets retweets and it can find you some new followers. First of all, yes, for a while Vine was pretty useless. The only way to input video was to take it in real time, and pressing the screen in the app to record what was in front of you. With six seconds to work with, it was almost impossible to get anything significant from, say, a high school football game, unless you could predict the future and knew what was going to happen in the next six seconds. But that changed dramatically somewhere along the line after an update, as now Vine allows you to import video already on your phone -- video that you have already taken, regardless of length -- and crop it to the six seconds that you want for the Vine. That also means you can use your phone's zoom capabilities. Here's one example of a Vine from the sidelines. All of these are done with my iPhone 5: https://vine.co/v/ObzHmYEuhXm In this case, they were on the two-yard line so I knew they had a good chance of scoring, so I pulled out my phone and started recording with my phone's regular camera app. I started well before the play and kept it going for a while after the play. Then I went into Vine, cropped it down to the part that I wanted, and posted it. It allows you to post to both Vine and Twitter at the same time, so that's a bit of a time-saver, and all the hashtags or whatever that you want to use carry over. So, with practice, you can get it all cropped and posted before the next play. Here's what that Vine looked like posted to Twitter: https://twitter.com/OAJustinLee/status/523304123819884544 Notice that it got some retweets. And, as mentioned before in this thread, Vine might be limited to just six seconds, but I still use it over Instagram just because it can embed to Twitter like that. Also, not only can you crop the video in its running time, but since it displays as a square, it allows you to slide that viewing square window across your rectangular video while you're cropping it. I usually have my phone sideways, in case I get off-center or lose the ball for a moment. Then I can just move the square window to follow it. (None of that may make any sense, but whatever.) Here's another example from the sideline: https://vine.co/v/OBmq5dPE0w5 Last week, faced with an early deadline, I was confined to the press box. But even then, with my phone's zoom, I was able to get some worthwhile Vines. Here's one:
    A lot of it is guesswork as far as knowing what plays to try to take video of, but I'd recommend anyone to try it. I think people like to actually have the sights and the sounds every once in a while to go with the scoring updates, and Twitter and Vine make the whole deal super easy for people to see on phones and on the computer. It's all very simple, it uploads instantly, and my followers and readers like it. Just thought I'd share. I definitely recommend anyone to try it -- and not just for high school football, but anything really. It's so simple and quick, it could be a big part of live-tweeting pretty much anything.

11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Justin, great points. I think Vine is something writers don't use enough. I think #txhsfb coverage lends itself well to Vine, and I've been actually using it a lot more as well. Readers eat that up. I'd wish more of the state's high school football writers (or just writers in general) used it.

12. mash4077

mash4077 New Member

Justin, those are many of the same reasons I've been pulling out my Note 3 and shooting video to put in Vine, and I've gotten good feedback on them and numerous retweets, favored tweets and positive comments from people I've run into about them.

For football, I tend to post 2-3 clips during halftime, and then 2-3 more in the hour or so after postgame once I've gotten my postgame interviews out of the way (last week I got 4 of the 6 scores of the team I cover posted, and 2 were posted during halftime and were already getting retweeted and re-vined during the game). I know a few coaches have been surprised when I mentioned I already had highlights of scoring plays up before my postgame interviews.

I've started to pay more attention to the analytics of my Vine tweets, and they far outpace just plain text tweets (I get anywhere from 25-45 percent engagement rates on them), and though I like photo tweets, the Vine tweets more than double the engagement rates of the photo ones.

Posting a video clip to Vine is super easy, especially now that you can upload the video to the app and not have to shoot it directly within it. I try to anticipate plays where I might get either a scoring play or a good highlight and pull out the smartphone on those occasions.

I've seen similar engagement rates for volleyball and basketball Vines I've posted too, though I've only done those on a limited scale to date. I had been posting highlights on YouTube after games but I've gravitated quickly to Vines for its ease of use and the increased engagement they're getting.

I'm hoping to see them get looped more, but I've had a couple go over 1,000 and about 75 percent of them get looped at least 500 times. Not much for now compared to the super popular ones on Vine, but I'm getting much more interest in them even in the last 2-3 months I've been regularly posting videos to Vine.

The playoff game I covered from my area last week, I got four of the six TDs on from the team I covered, and I posted two of those during halftime.

I would love to see more people in our newsroom use it (both in the news and lifestyle). So far I'm the only one. My SE tweets at games he covers but doesn't shoot video and has to be coaxed into taking a photo to use in a tweet.

I don't know what it contributes in terms of readership to the stories or to the newspaper in general, but I know the high school kids I cover are starting to recognize me for it. I feel like it also increases my credibility with those kids, their coaches and others who follow my Twitter feed and read the stories in the paper in which I work because it's one more thing I'm doing to augment the sports coverage in an under-covered part of my particular state. I'm always looking for new and effective ways to engage people in my paper's content and what I produce, and I've found Vine highlights to be among the most effective.

Draft saved Draft deleted