1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vindication for Landis?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Seems like the French screwed up. It may just be a technicality or it may be proof of something more unseemly.

Landis certainly didn't help his cause after the allegations came to light, but this opens the door to the possibility that it's not just the riders that are tainted in the Tour de France.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=2776315

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. I thought this was about John Landis, and I still blame him for Vic Morrow's death.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I was thinking Kennesaw Mountain, and maybe Joe did say it was so.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought this was about Lana Landis.

http://www.lanalandis.com/

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've been to Landis, N.C.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The whole Landis thing has seemed sketchy from the start. Sounds like someone was looking to grab a brass ring here, and Landis was ripe for the taking.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It seems the entire case has been suspect from the beginning. He didn't test for anything throughout the Tour then all of a sudden, he's got super-elevated levels? It's not how the stuff works. I bet there's a good chance he gets vindicated.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

sorry fro the threadjack, FH, but it wouldn't have helped if you had gone Floyd, either. you just would have gotten this:

[​IMG]

9. jboy

jboy Guest

And if I remember correctly, the type of steroid he tested for was an "old-fashioned" type of steroid, the kind you'd have to take every day for a long time to show an effectiveness. And he tested positive for it only once. You wouldn't take that one time before a race to get a boost. It doesn't work that way.

There's a lot that doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Found it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=2532029

Testosterone creams, pills and injections can build muscle and strength and improve recovery time after exertion when used over a period of several weeks, according to Dr. Gary Wadler, a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency and a spokesman for the American College of Sports Medicine.

But if Landis had been a user, earlier urine tests during the Tour would have been affected, too, Wadler said. Landis' first reported abnormal result was last Thursday, after his amazing come-from-behind performance in stage 17 of the race.

One-time use of steroids could result in an abnormal test, but it would have no effect on performance and could not account for Landis' astounding feat Thursday, "so something's missing here," Wadler said. "It just doesn't add up."

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I came to the conclusion that there was a lot of Dick Pounding in this case a long time ago.

Couldn't get Lance? We'll get the next guy. Floyd Landis is innocent.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I blame Bush.

But I say we invade France, anyway.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"Tonight on Showtime, after 'Red Shoe Diaries' ... "

Draft saved Draft deleted