1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I feel like this whole AAF saga needs to be E:60'd or else given a made-for-TV movie

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The entire season could fit into an E:60

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've been listening to an interview that Rich Eisen did with Charlie ebersol a couple of months ago.

Charlie ebersol sounds like the biggest cock on Earth. A complete douchebag. And a liar, he completely lied about the payroll not being met in the first week .

He sounds like the son of a father who invented plausibly live for the Olympic Games coverage on TV. He sounds like the son of a father who didn't think that putting the score and time of the game in a little bug on the corner of the screen was a good idea. The Ebersols suck.

And Rich Eisen looks terrible in this interview. He is sucking up to Charlie ebersol and claiming that anyone who questions the league is a hater. Bad look, rich.

4. DanOregon

Reading about the younger Ebersol, he seems to be a reality TV huckster with a Yale-pedigree who has spent a few weekends in Cabo and Vail with some Silicon Valley types so he knows the lingo when snowing investors. I want to hear more from Dundon and Fowler (particularly the latter) about a) what prompted them to invest and b) what caused them to cut their losses so soon.

5. poindexter

Rich, well-known parents, and the younger got into Yale. BFD.

6. poindexter

During the Rich Eisen interview, Charlie said my company about 10 times. A month ago, he proclaimed himself to be the face of this league.

7. DanOregon

Ranking failed football leagues

1. USFL
    2. World League of American Football/NFL Europe
    2. World Football League
    3. United Football League
    4. XFL
    5. AAF

- I didn't realize the Arena League is still going, though only as a regional NE organization.

Batman likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Andrew Brandt’s podcast replayed clips of the interview with Ebersol that aired in the episode right before the season began. “Total sales job,” Brandt said in retrospect. Benign way of calling him a liar.

9. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

"Liar" ... "reality-TV huckster" ... "sounds like the biggest cock on Earth" ... "complete douchebag" ...

Are we sure Charlie Ebersol isn't going to have his mask pulled off, Scooby-Doo-style, to reveal Donald Trump?

10. DanOregon

I think what bugs me the most is that a lot of good football people bought in and gave the guy credibility he didn't merit. There have to be stories about Ebersol right? Seriously - he sounds like a Gannett editor extolling the latest initiative from Tysons Corner or an informercial guy selling a new mop.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It says something that Comcast/NBC didn’t even touch this thing.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted