1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vin scully

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, May 20, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I caught a bit of a Padres game on ESPN America the other day, and Enberg was on. I was surprised too. Didn't realize he was still doing that.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When I lived in Arizona, Thom Breneman was still on TV with Grace, so D'backs TV was tolerable. Plus, every now and then on a Saturday at home, they'd give Grace a day off and Joe Garagiola would do the color, which was a treat so someone raised on NBC's "Game of the Week." Sometimes Al McCoy ("Shazam!") of the Suns would fill in during his off-season. But Sutton and Grace together have taken baseball butchery and homerism to new levels.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nope. Not a famous call at all. Just wonderful in the weird Uecker way.

It was the Nationals first season. They'd just traded for Preston Wilson and he was up in a game in Milwaukee right after the All-Star break.

Uecker is detailing his history the trade, going on and on and on and on and on.

"The thing with Wilson is he strikes out. A lot. (stats stats stats). But not that time and it's 1-0 Nationals."

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Moddy, I'll bet Ueker even managed to hit the cough button and point out the rack on the blonde in the third row without missing a step in that Preston Wilson HR call.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

After watching that, watch this:

6. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

Scully was on CBS from 1975-81 and had done some other football play by play before that. In fact, the NFC Championship game you watched was the last one he did for CBS. He and Pat Summerall were each matched with John Madden, whom CBS was grooming as its main analyst, during the 1981 season. CBS went with Summerall over Scully as Madden's partner (the right move, IMHO) and offered Scully the NFC Championship game as a consolation prize. Scully was pissed and took the NBC baseball play by play job the next season (also the right move).

If you can find then-CBS Sports producer Terry O'Neil's book, it's covered pretty thoroughly.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Skip Caray still has the best line I have ever heard. Late 80's, when the Braves were terrible on were still on WTBS. Playing the Giants....Runner on 1st, 1 out......"The SuperStation Movie tonight is the John Wayne classic True Grit.....and we'll get to that just as soon as Jeffrey Leonard hits into a double play."

Next Pitch.

6-4-3

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite Skip line (which I've posted on this site before) occurred before the game even started. They were showing the starting lineup on the screen over images of fans in the stands. There was a women with a very low-cut top walking down the steps carrying a bunch of food and drinks. She stumbled slightly, then re-gained her balance.

Skip's line: "We almost had a baseball first there ... two out before the game even started."

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Vin also did the Masters for a few years with CBS and he was the lead for golf for NBC in the 1980s.

Enberg gave up all of his CBS duties besides the U.S. Open two years ago to do Padres games. Another very versatile announcer -- college basketball, tennis, golf, NFL -- and one of my all-time favorites.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Growing up in Missouri, Jack Buck was my gold standard.

Even when I lived and worked in the I.E., I never got into Vin. Watching/listening to him do TV, I always felt like he needed a straight play-by-play man in the booth, if for nothing more than just a different voice to play off of. Let someone else do the nuts and bolts, and let Vin paint the pictures.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Unless done extremely well, the two-man booth is a blight on baseball.

Braves with Caray, for instance. The two idiots would be having a conversation about everything other than the game.

Scully talks to me. He talks to the listener. He's not bantering stupidity with some bozo.

Draft saved Draft deleted