1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vin scully

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, May 20, 2012.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll take a suck ass Vin Scully over 95% of the other lame ass cookie cutters other teams employ, then.

Even today Vin Scully is in a rare class of broadcasters. Jon Miller, Joe Angel, and only a few others can hang with him.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Suzyn Waldman should also be on that list.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We rarely get Dodger games on the sports channels up here and when we do it's almost always the visiting team feed. But I love listening to Scully when I am in Cali.

Yeah he may have lost a step but it's a step most guys never had to begin with.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Smasher, it's the same thing every other broadcaster in the majors does. And it's no surprise he has a massive ego, I'd be stunned if he didn't.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, she is in a rare class of broadcasters, all right.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This. I liked Harry and Skip, who were both entertaining in their own ways, but Vin has always been the class of the genre. If Chip Caray's name was something else, he'd be somewhere else.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Maybe I was off a bit, but he didn't sound half as geezer as That Dinosaur Gasbag Lou Holtz.

It's true that Vin Scully is one of the all-time greats, but Jack Buck, Ernie Harwell and a few others rank right there with him. It's not a table for one.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The biggest difference, of course, being that Scully is not dead at the present time.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That does not change the eligibility requirements. The operative phrase is "all-time."

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . only in that she's theoretically-eligible for sainthood for enduring all the shit and patronization heaped upon her by the King of All Jerkoffs.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Denny Matthews should also have a seat at the table of greats.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This.

I ponied up the $19.99 for MLB's online audio package this year, best sports-related money I've spent in a long time. Did it first and foremost to listen to my beloved Reds and Marty Brennaman, since I'm not within reach of mighty WLW's signal anymore, but I also switch to Vin late at night. And then just about anything else out west. Feels like being a kid again.

Draft saved Draft deleted