1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vikings fire Childress AKA Rosie rejoices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Childress went after Favre last season to save his job. It worked and he got his extension. He just never realized that in order to act like Bill Belichick, you have to win like Bill Belichick, and I really don't think Belichick would be as blatantly arrogant as Childress was.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

He's just keeping the seat warm for either Dungy or Glenn Caruso.

We're working through the details over on the weekly thread.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If it's not Dungy or Caruso I think Joe Salem would be a good hire. Or maybe Bob Schnelker

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

The team is a complete disaster this season, and Childress is one of the main problems. He was a terrible play caller in my opinion and made so many ill-advised decisions. It showed that the players were not happy with him anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised if they quit on him.

I'm glad Frazier is finally getting his shot, it's been a long time coming. I honestly thought he would be given a chance a few seasons ago. Better late than never though. I do hope he performs well has a coach.

7. Machine Head

Jerry Burns gives his thoughts on Bob Schnelker. Starts around the 1:00 mark and goes for about another minute or so. Then Pat Reusse asks him a another question around the 4:55 mark.

I loved Burnsie.

WARNING!

NSFW language:

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Never seen that one. Awesome.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Childress was one of the most overrated coordinators ever. He was Reid's right-hand man all, but he never called the plays, or didn't until the last year. Why would anyone think he was this offensive genius that he was being called when the Vikings hired him?

He was a typical Vikings hire.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

He is the main problem, and that's without factoring in any of the on the field decisions. This team was way beyond quitting on him; they were essentially in out and out mutiny mode, publically and vocally questioning his leadership and authority. He was a disaster, a time bomb ticking, getting worse every week.

How many other times has a coach who made the conference championship the previous season been fired mid-season the next. Can't be many, and most of those would like be Steinbrenner Yankees moves.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikes go on a run now through the end of the year.

The only downside is this would have been so much sweeter to have unfolded in Favre's first year in Minnesota and to have the diva have to suffer through this right off the 'I'm retired, no I'm not' drama.

11. Machine Head

Flesh this out.

I'll give you Mike Tice and even go as far back as Les Steckel.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Everyone knew it was an "all-in" move with Favre. They made it to the NFC Championship game last year. Disaster this year. It's not like the team had a more viable option. The problem was/is the Vikings have not developed a quarterback in the five years since Culpepper left town.
    Of course, there really aren't that many starters in the last five years who they could have had, maybe Flacco, Cassel, Freeman. Vick?

Draft saved Draft deleted