1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VIDEO: Seattle Neo-Nazi picked the wrong day to wear a swastika armband

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh you and your white supremacist reason ...

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well said, BR.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

For the most part I agree with you, except when it comes to Nazis and terrorists. I'm not waiting for them to inflict the violence that they so clearly espouse. And they're obviously impenetrable to reason. You wear a Nazi armband and harass people based on the colour of their skin, which this mook did on a public fucking bus, you deserve whatever you get. And this guy's beating is a good lesson to anyone else who, emboldened by the current administration, might have the same dumb idea. Jesus Christ, there are thousands of American citizens who survived Nazi death camps, and you think they should sit down and have a conversation with a guy wearing the same armband as the soldiers who gassed their families? There are consequences for your asshole behaviour.

"Reasoning with Nazis" should be the title of a book about impossible things.

4. doctorquant

If you're fine with punching out someone because of the armband he wears, don't pretend you're civilized ...

5. Vombatus

Besides 1st Amendment, another thing that bothers me is that he was tracked down through social media and attacked. A lot of premeditation before that punch. What happened before the video? Was he quiet, just walking with the armband on, confronted and then knocked out?

Really does seem like 1923. Thuggery was common in Germany among many views.

None of this shit is good. None.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have an almost inexhaustible empathy for those who confronted with Nazis or other white supremacists feel compelled to stomp them until they go back into hiding. There's a little history here.

So if you're a Nazi and you decide it's a good idea to wear Nazi emblems and use Nazi slogans to provoke and intimidate people in public, you need to understand you're probably going to get your ass beat.

Unfortunately, we have a president and an administration that has actively sought these scumbags' political support, knowingly and strategically exploited them, and emboldened them, which is leading to a pronounced increase in this type of violence.

So, yeah, I will gladly contribute to the defense funds of people who are provoked to violence, certainly until we have a country that stands united against Nazis and white supremacists.

7. doctorquant

That's because you're a punk.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

There were many fine people on both sides of this punching.

melock and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  9. Vombatus

What's your limit? Brain damage to the Nazi? Death? This makes people no better than the Nazi.

I think counterprotesting and keeping it nonviolent is a better approach.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't wait to read the chapter on negotiating with Palestinians.

QYFW likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Aye, there's the rub.

Lots of people have lots of "except when it comes to" exceptions that may not align with yours.

Stoney likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Are we on the verge of an outbreak of armed conflict within the U.S.? "Civil" War?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.