1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video query

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Got short, separate videos sent to me by a coach of his athletes working out separately, at home. I'm an experienced writer (read: old) and a freelancer at that. What would i need to do to run all these videos together and provide a link for the desk to possibly post on-line with the story?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Were they posted on Twitter? YouTube?

A couple options:

— Your newsroom could drop the clips into its video CMS and handle it however it would get handled.

— If clips are up on YouTube or Twitter and you have permission to do so, you can embed the YT/T posts in the story. If they are short clips, you could easily tweet them out.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Wicked has good advice, but honestly -- why can't you just forward them to your desk and have them do it? Any desker should have the ability to publish the videos with the story.

4. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

First, thanks for the responses. And SFIND ... it's not clear to me what the peeps on the desk (located 40 miles away) know how to do or have time to do. Hmmm. I should try to get better at all this computer stuff, but I'm 60-plus, work solo and don't know who to ask.

Liut, Danwriter and ChrisLong like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Whomever you file to should know who handles multimedia. In a smaller newsroom it's probably the guy who's the photo editor (do those exist anymore?). If you have a video CMS like Brightcove or Arc, it'd be easy to upload the files.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

If they are already on YouTube couldn't you just insert a hyperlink to take reader right to YT?

Draft saved Draft deleted