1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video editing software?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Jan 7, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you don't use Final Cut, what do you use? How expensive is it? How much functionality does it have? Is there freeware/shareware that can handle tasks like converting from MOV to MP4?

Googling brings up a bunch of chaff, and we have people here who know better (and know more).

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FCP is garbage.
    Premiere is the route to go; if you're a newbie, Premiere Elements can be good for you.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I use Pinnacle. But I’ve never compared it to others.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thanks, TV. I'm hoping Elements is somewhat affordable? All I need to do is merge clips, trim clips, compress videos so they can fit into our server. I don't need anything fancy.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Until I ever buy a fancier program, iMovie is just fine.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

yeah, if you have a mac and you just want to do some pretty basic clip manipulate, iMovie is a good choice as it's easy to use and there are plenty of YT videos to show you how do do exactly what you're trying to do.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I've found iMovie a bit limiting, especially when it comes to compressing/combining clips, but I'm also a rookie.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

iMovie allows for so many overlays (photos, videos, music). Pretty easy once you understand the layering process.

Draft saved Draft deleted