1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Victory!!!! ESPN Mobile to shut down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Except that Wal-Mart isn't the sports communications business. If you want this business to get smaller, cheer ESPN's (few) failures all you want.
    Shoot yourself in the big toe, while you're at it.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I didn't go to business school, but I think I would go to one that would assert that pulling the plug on a bad idea costs less in the long run than continued investment in it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

GE never put an annoying, stalker-like person as the front pitchman for their product.

GE never strutted their new product in the middle of discussion about the sudden death of an athlete.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm not saying the failure was not well-earned.
    That was the dumbest marketing campaign I've ever seen -- equate your target market with a loser stalker.
    I'm only saying that cheering is counterproductive.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Equating ESPN to to Wal-Mart is appropos, however, in that ESPN is just part of the further compression of media choice. ESPN has no interest in expansion of the marketplace, only domination.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Shoot myself in the toe? What, was I in line for a job that got me out of Podunk? Like ESPN cares about Podunk.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And those stories telling about how much money ESPN is losing are everywhere.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't understand why ESPN Mobile shutting down is a "victory." Who really cares?

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Chris Berman is the worst personality on ESPN he should have been fired years ago. He is so annoying and ridiculous with this "he could go all the way" crapola. As far as ESPN mobile not surprised it is a very tough market to get into.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, the short answer is that Perry White's an idiot.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

The real idiot here is the one who somehow tries to assert that the death of ESPN Mobile is a giant loss for journalists.

Maybe The Sporting News will try to fill the void with TSN Rotary.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's a little harsh, H_Beat. Unlike his linking-fool brother, double_bagger, Perry usually finds newsworthy links, and isn't as fastidiously attached to Deadspin's zipper as he used to be. I think he was just playing off the board's frequently expressed derision for ESPN Mobile.

Draft saved Draft deleted