1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vick press conference at 11:30 a.m.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wish it were that simple. For one so young (he's almost 5, so I guess I can stop saying he's 4), he's surprisingly into sports...we watch SportsCenter every morning when we're getting ready.

He adores Jeff Bagwell (he loved the way he crouched while hitting), Craig Biggio and Tiger Woods. So when you've got the constant "killing dogs" verbalized, he gasps (kill is a bad word for us...). I just wish I didn't HAVE to explain that to him.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Liar or Whore? You Make The Call
    [​IMG]

3. Lawyer, which is both.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Blank said basically nothing, but that's no big surprise.

The fact that Vick is suspended, which means Vick's salary this year comes off the books, buys Blank and McKay time to recoup some of Vick's signing bonuses. And, as we know, that's the only reason Vick hasn't already been released.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

All these comments don't surprise me. What hell is he supposed to do? In my opinion, that apology came from the heart. The statement wasn't read of a piece of paper that his lawyers handed to him. He stood up, took responsibility and apologized to everyone.

I know a lot of people(even before the dog fighting thing) have said things like "Vick is a dick" and "Vick is a bad guy". Here's why I disagree with all that. If you ask anyone that has played with Vick, they'll tell you that not only is Vick not bad person, he's a great person. His coaches and teammates have always said that he's good guy. Dan Reeves and Jim Mora always came and defended him. Even the front office came out in the past and said that Vick was a good guy. Hell, look at what Vick has done in the community. There's the The Vick Foundation which is a non profit organization that supports at risk kids and after school programs in Atlanta. After the V-Tech massacre, Vick and United Way donated money to help the families that were affected by the tradegy. The Vick foundation is also collecting donations.
    Should he be in prison. Yes. Should Goddell suspend him. Yes. But I'm not ready to put this guy out as a bad guy. I don't know him personally(and quite frankly none of us,at least I don't think, know Vick personally) so I can't say he's an all out good guy, but I'm not ready to say that he's a bad guy to human beings.

6. Anyone else think it was quite a coincidence that DMX's home gets searched hours before Vick's plea. Wonder if Vick gave DMX up.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He's a great guy that happens to participate in the bankrolling and murder of animals.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Please, not like Mora or Reeves had much choice.

Throw Vick under the bus while they were on the job, and they'd have hit the unemployment line stat.

And just because you start a foundation, that does not make you a "great person."

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Will the Falcons release Vick next year? Or this season, after they recoup some of his money?

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Not much choice? I think it was pretty obvious that Mora loved Vick.

After adding everything up(his coaches,teammates say good things about him all the time,charity work), I don't if I should call him a bad guy.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, it just means you've got a good accountant/tax attorney.

As for his V Tech donations, let's not praise him too much for that. If I remember correctly, he donated $10,000 to the victims fund. According to his plea, he regularly placed (or had his employees place) wagers larger than that on dog fights.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mora loved Vick and the Falcons so much that he said he would take a college job in a heartbeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.