1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vick case thread....please behave

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Can't wait for your answer ...

I think it's entirely too much money for one person to have. They get all these things and then they realize it doesn't make them completely happy. Some have to resort to doing thuggish things, others turn to drugs. Just an opinion, take it for what it's worth.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I suspect the bets were limited by the opposition's bankroll, not Vick's.

3. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Yeah, I mean that is a good point TD & something we all have to think about.

Many pros come from hard backgrounds (American or foreign ghettos/poverty) with a variety of cultures. Just because they get money and are on TV doesn't mean they have totally abandoned their roots (for better or worse).

I am not making a judgement here but rather saying I think we need to put everything in context. Do we expect pros to be role models, is that part of the "job description?" Maybe it is.

As far as his betting level, from what I understand, a lot of serious betters throw down serious bets (look at the cash poker games). So, I doubt they would not have been able to handle Vick's action (I believe his top bet was $40K).

Now, again perhaps this was something Vick did to connect with his old boys/crew and was less about betting. I haven't followed this story too close so I don't know the particulars, but I know enough to say there is more to this story.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, I'm saying Rhoden spins race into incidents where race is irrelavant... it was late, I was tired. Maybe I didn't quite make myself clear.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

This article would make sense if the culture he's bashing wasn't itself hijacked by corporate america.

I'm not surprised that people on this site are heralding this drivel. It gives white america and their buying preference a huge pass while giving validity to hip hop culture being endemic of the internal problems of the African American community rather than the broader perception of the buyers who consume 70% of that gargabe put on wax. Never mind that Madison Avenue doesn't have an ample number of African Americans in its ranks who decided to give 50 Cent advertian ad deal to promote Vitamin Water. Somehow it's still a reflection of the African American community.

Bottomline, the sons and daughters of the Don Imus' of the world are the ones making those decisions, not the African Americans.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok...that makes more sense. That's why I asked.

7. outofplace

Of course, it's okay to lump all white Americans in with Don Imus when it suits your argument. ::)

Edit: I had to remind myself to behave here.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I didn't lump anyone with Don Imus or you. If the shoe doesn't fit you, then why act as if you're the accused?

He clamied that he mimicked what the kids on his ranch were saying. His kids are among the 70% buyers of trashy hiphop. His kids are a reflection of America's wants of the past 15 years.

Everyone is quick to c/s crap that absolves white america's responsibility for pushing the mess that hits the airwaves.

Fukk the Kerner Commission studies that point out the lack of minority decision makers in print and broadcast media. It somehow makes sense to many of you to disregard those FACTS and put the onus on the African American community for what White america not only consumes, but decides to push on the airwaves.

If all you could take is me calling you "Don Imus" then I'd advice you to get up your reading comprehension skills.

The African American community hasn't dictated "hip hop culture" since the late 80's.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

outofplace: Please tell me you're not surprised by that response. He/she has to have it on a macro key:

Just hit the key and out it flows.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Why not address anything I've posted and discredit it rather than using the "so you're implying" card?

Of course you'll c/s each other's dismissiveness as if the collective ignoring the truths I posted has value.

I'm not surprised. My dislikes have little or next to no truth to it in the eyes of the simpleminded.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mike Vick is the only person to blame for his mess, and Ron Mexico is the only person to blame for his mess.

I really hope in all of this shuffle it is not lost the locality has done nothing as far as charges on Vick. I would love for the feds to put a microscope on that D.A.'s office.

12. outofplace

I'm not going to do this again. I asked that we keep this thread on topic no matter what some people try to do.

I will say that my problem is that you complain about Michael Vick being lumped in with the entire community, then you lump white people in with Don Imus. Then you twist it and try to say only certain white people. That's bullshit. Please be accountable for your words and try to stay on topic.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.