1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vic Ziegel swings and misses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

After a week's worth of superb columns on Phil Rizzuto in the NY papers, Ziegel checks in with this clinker:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/ziegel/index.html

Starts bad in the first paragraph with the misinformation that the pitchers mound had been elevated in 1968.

Disappointing effort from a guy who probably knew Rizzuto longer than most of the other columnists.

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

You're being too kind to suggest that he swung.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The bases were definitely five feet further away.

4. clingerman

clingerman New Member

I don't think he missed. Was a nice, easy column on his memories of Rizzuto. Doesn't seem worthy of being bashed.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

There was nothing in there that hadn't been written all week by every other columnists in New York and New Jersey. That is a major problem for a guy like Ziegel who's been around forever and probably could have done something a little different based on his experiences with Phil.

6. You're not bothered by the fact that he relates an anecdote that is completely factually incorrect?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I think that's a wonderful way to capture a reader.

8. Good point. I wouldn't have read it otherwise.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

For those wondering, the pitching mound was lowered from 15 inches to 10 inches back then, and it was in 1969, not 1968.

Hard to guess what Ziegel was thinking, but it sure did take all the juice out of his column lead.

Draft saved Draft deleted