1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VHS, where have you gone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, May 11, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, since I am moving across the country next week and can't afford a truck, I am having to throw away/sell/donate most of my stuff.

I started going through my VHS tapes that I have moved all over the place the last 15 years or so and it dawned on me that I am finally old enough to own outdated technology.

I own a VCR, but it isn't hooked up. It is in a box in the attic.

Mostly what I own on VHS is Yankees stuff (like I just discovered a tape from May 17, 1994 of Dwight Gooden's no-hitter against the Mariners) and some Washington State stuff (a copy of the Rose Bowl against Michigan, where the refs wouldn't give Ryan Leaf one more play) and I realized it is kind of sad to throw this stuff out.

So, what are some of the things you have moved with you that you have a hard time letting go of, despite it being outdated or antiquated?

Fake edit: The giant box of old newspapers, that I assume we all have, doesn't count.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I still have a shitpot of VHS movies I haven't thrown out yet. I also have Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game, recorded the day it happened (lucky, huh?). I don't think I'll ever throw that one out, even though I haven't had a VCR connected to a TV in more than a year.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Can't ya'll just convert all the tapes to DVDs?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Spnited is pissed. He was just about to start a thread titled "Beta, where have you gone?"

And Angola, Doc's no-hitter was in mid-May 1996 (today might very well be the anniversary), not 1994.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had a shitload of old VHS tapes... converted some to DVD... threw out a shitload more I never watched, still have more because I like to fall asleep with the TV on andDVD's end in 2 hours but can do a decent looking VHS in six hours...
    The last game at Maple Leaf Gardens looks like shit dubbed into a six hour DVD...

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's what I get for going off of memory.

May 14, 1996. The only reason I taped the game that day was because it was actually on in the Seattle area. I nearly shit myself when I realized I had a no-hitter on tape.

May 17 - my birthday - is the day David Wells threw his perfect game.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Great thread. When I moved to Cali, I had to throw out about 15-20 years' worth of old programs from (mostly MLB) games that I attended as a kid. I salvaged a few, but couldn't find the one from Tiger Stadium. Did find a 1988 program from Wrigley ("Should Wrigley install lights? Clip this out and send in your vote!") and another from the Vet around 1989 ("Von Hayes, Phillies All-Star").

Still have about a dozen VHS tapes that I've lugged around the country, though. ... Just watched Turner Sports' "1991 Braves, Miracle Season" about a month ago, believe it or not. :D

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Spnited is still pissed about those infernal talkies.

"You don't need sound to enjoy a good motion picture, fly boy. Only a palooka splifficated straight from the gin mill needs to hear a movie.

Now I got to go see a man about a dog."

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Youse mugs quit givin Spnited da business, savvy?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not throwing them all out. The ones I have kept so far - out of about 60 I looked through - are:

2003, ALCS, Game 3 - The Brawl - or Pedro is a bitch
    2001, ALDS, Game 3 - Jeter's Play
    1996, ALCS, Game 1 - I'm hoping this is the Jeff Maier game, but I honestly can't remember, plus Bernie hit a walk-off
    2002, random regular season game - Giambi hits a grand slam against the Twins, his first (and only?) big moment with the Yankees
    1996, World Series, Game 6 - Where it all began
    2001, World Series, Game 5 - Brosius time
    1995, ALDS, Game 2 - Leyritz ends the longest game I had ever seen at the time

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I think I have two VHS cassettes:
    "The Slipper Still Fits" - The run to the 1983 national title for N.C. State
    "Genesis: A History" - I bought the Genesis Songbook and Video Show on DVD, but can't bear to part with this one.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Still have a bunch of VHS tapes, but I think I left all of them on the mainland.

One thing I did bring, though, was my 64-ounce Mega Buddy cup. I got it in late August of 1999 at a convenience store in Madison, Wisc., to commemorate the end of a summer-long bus tour of the country (and the caffeine prohibition that went with it). Played our last show in Camp Randall, cleaned up and got back on the horse that night ... 64 glorious ounces of caffeinated, carbonated goodness for $1.50. I'm actually off caffeine and pop again (two weeks as of yesterday!), but I like keeping it around as a reminder of the last high point in my life.

Oh, and I still have my graphing calculator from high school. A TI-8somethingorother.

Draft saved Draft deleted