1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VH1 Classic? Hour-long Faces concert? I'm in heaven ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A lot of cable channels have completely lost their way as far as getting away from what made them appealing to begin with.

Not VH1 Classic.

I stopped watching for a little while because I heard some of the MTV/VH1 reality shows were polluting an otherwise excellent channel. There's a bit of that, but there's much more to make that channel perhaps the best on my dish package at the present moment.

You've got the videos. You've got excellent shows like Classic Albums -- even if some of the choices are dubious "classics" they're good shows anyway, the one on Dark Side Of The Moon was fascinating.

The show I am seriously addicted to is BBC Crown Jewels. They're basically an amalgam of the old BBC music programs like Olde Grey Whistle Test, Sounds For Saturday and some random BBC-made documentaries.

If nothing else, VH1 Classic justified its existence for all eternity by airing a '71 vintage Faces concert which I DVR'd. Might be the best live recording I have. Presumably made around the time A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse was released -- as Miss Judy's Farm and Stay With Me are introduced as new songs -- the Faces totally cut in their greasy, rocked out glory.

It's a good thing the Faces existed so everyone could see how great Ron Wood really is on lead guitar, since he's stuck eternally in the public mind as Keith Richards' second banana with the Stones. Ronnie Lane is on bass and singing some. Peak period Rod Stewart is hard to beat, he's on his game.

And if there's one thing I can't resist, it's a Hammond organ/electric piano/clavinette riff in just about any song that features it. Hamelin had the Pied Piper, I got that. Ian McLagen is in full Hammond glory in this show. Wow.

VH1 Classic ... keep on rockin'!

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

BYH has no idea why he just ejaculated.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

he did that eight seconds into the show

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Bubbler. I welcome you with open arms to the cult of BYH Classic.

There were a few months last year where it sucked almost as bad as VH-1. There were a ton of reality/stupid best-of-a-decade shows with a bunch of jerkoffs whose appreciation of the era didn't get past the irony stage. Someone must have knocked some sense into them, because while I'd love a return to the day of 24-hour music videos--and Lynn Hoffman, hummana hummana--at least most of the day is filled with music-related programming. I'm not a huge fan of all the concerts, but at least it's music. Could do without heavily edited music-themed movies in prime time, but what can you do.

And the video schedule is pretty good. There's usually videos for about 12 hours from 3 am to 3 pm or so. The playlist is way too narrow, but it's great background music for my late-night writing sessions posting marathons. And the other day, I woke up to PRANCE MOTHERFUCKER!!! So no complaints here.

5. sportschick

Your obsession with Billy's career suicide scares me. It's like, it's like, you have an unfulfilled long term crush on Billy's ripped t-shirt or something.

[​IMG]

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

And I have no crush on Billy. But when something is that awesomely bad, it must be worshipped.

Seriously: I woke up from a deep sleep within the first three seconds of that video. I am not kidding. It's like prancing is deeply imbedded in my subconscious. I need help.

7. sportschick

I think you're turned on by the sight of Billy's scrawny body writhing in ecstacy on the floor in that vid.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Im in ur television, pranceeing ur screen.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love the Faces' music, but that's not even the best live show of 1971. Neil Young at Massey Hall blows it away.

10. Saw that Faces show a couple weeks ago. It really is a fine performance.
    Last two shows before I went off to college in 1971 -- The Who and Faces, the latter outdoors.

Draft saved Draft deleted