1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VF: Making the Blues Brothers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 2, 2013.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Read that. Enjoyed it, but I also have never seen the movie and am not huge into Belushi/Aykroyd. So no idea how much new territory was covered.

I did like the story about Belushi stumbling into some dude's house, eating his food, and going to sleep on his couch.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

God I love that movie (though I'll admit the chase scene at the end is a bit overly long). Will have to read this after work today. Thanks for the link!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love stories like this...

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That entire issue was fantastic. Judd Apatow had a Q&A with Albert Brooks.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/01/albert-brooks-this-is-40

And Martin Short story was good:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/01/martin-short-hollywoods-most-beloved

It also had an oral history of Freaks & Geeks that the show's obsessives would probably loved (never watched the show - I know, I know).

5. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Great article about one of my all-time favorite movies; thanks for the find. It's fascinating to see how something so beloved now was perceived as a complete catastrophe in the making, but even more so (if a bit sadder) to see how Belushi kept trying and failing to battle his cocaine demons throughout the production. It's unfortunate we never got to see how his career would have evolved much past this; he was a true comic genius if ever there was one.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The movie was a catastrophe, but a likeable one with great music.

7. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Fair point. Its sequel was one as well, but not nearly as likeable without Belushi.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Wonderful article. It almost reads as a Cliffs Notes version of "Wired" in the sections pertaining to Belushi.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%, didn't like the movie, but, man, did they put together a great band.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Still haven't had time to plow through the article yet, but please tell me they discuss the acting "chops" of Matt "Guitar" Murphy. He made Hayden Christensen look like Sir Laurence Olivier.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He can play the fucking guitar that's why his name isn't Matt "Lee Strasberg" Murphy! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted