1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veterans' Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Nov 10, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Dad served in the Army and jumped into Panama and had a few stories tell about that and Desert Storm. I still wear part of the uniform Pops wore during his jump into Panama.

But my grandfather -- who served aboard a refrigeration ship during the Korean War -- has the best story. His ship was surrounded by friendly battleships and destroyers in some body of water that I can't remember.

He was standing on the deck, smoking a cigarette when he looked over the edge in time to see a torpedo whiz by.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

My father was in the Corps for 10 years and was eligible for final resting in Arlington Cemetery. My mother was an Air Force nurse in Vietnam and witnessed some unspeakable horrors, attended the nurses' memorial in Washington in 1993 and met General Westmoreland. Late brother was a technician in the U.S. Navy man. All hate(d) America.

Draft saved Draft deleted