1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very ugly day at CBSSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 23, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Physically easy. Mentally challenging and stressful. Being creative, daily, is one of the harder things to do.

The job is also done in the public view and you also have exposure to things like legal liability, which not many people have in the course of their jobs.

2. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Those guys started out 3-4 years ago making $750 a week and working 12-hour days when CBS started that old Rapid Reports thing. They were making more than that now but they paid their dues. Isolated, sedentary job that was tedious and repetitive. But yes, a jewel given all the unemployed journalists. Some guys who had been laid off as sports editors in big markets were begging to get in.

3. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Terrible news. Very much enjoyed the RapidReports editing crew while I covered a college hoops team during the 2011-12 season.

Great folks who made us all better at what we did, even if we were all flying by the seat of our pants during the new venture.

That was such a great gig, as well as a tremendous learning experience.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A shame.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, no, no.....<i>print</i> is dead. Online is the future.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But a volatile future with probably fewer decent jobs.

7. Mira

Mira Member

I'm chiming in with agreement to what blacktitleist said. All the remote editors are talented and great guys. I enjoyed working with them through Rapid Reports. Sorry to read the news.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Did CBS ever replace Jeff Goodman after he went to ESPN?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This basically means that the future will be one where there is ESPN and very little else...

10. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Why not Fox Sports 1? Something will always emerge. It just can't happen overnight.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Come over to the dark side of the business world...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Clark Judge is gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted