1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

very good jenkins story about tomlinson's slave ancestry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/sports/football/07tomlinson.html?em&ex=1168405200&en=5a4de7ab2dd428f7&ei=5087%0A

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes agree -- very well done story. Maybe LT has a bit of caucausion blood. I wondered why he threw that halfback option pass so well.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Line of the night, no question.

4. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Did I mention what a bad day it was for Mets fans (or those who follow the Mets) when Lee was taken off the Mets beat? Annoying.

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

he's quite good.

6. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

If a story carries a Lee Jenkins byline, I'll normally read it. Can't remember the last time I read an LJ story I didn't like.

This one, by the way, was quite good. Had never heard about this angle. Printed it out, gave it to my editor and one of my coworkers.

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

"The divide still exists, a pasture separating white families from black families, large homes from small ones. The population, about 100, is racially mixed and composed largely of senior citizens. There may be only one person left whose last name is Tomlinson. He is 71, has gray stubble and usually needs a walking stick to get around."

Nothings changed, except there are No white Tomlinson's left.

8. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

I don't know if there was much more you could have done with that topic.
    It's interesting to ponder and there's some texture to it, but it runs its course.
    Jenkins' command of the english language is evident, and helpful to the article selling itself to readers.
    I liked the article, overall, and rate it a solid "7" on the 10-point scale.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

good story. the former journo in me is more interested in how he got the story. is there a blurb in the media guide? did LT tell jenkins? did he do enough googling to find 'tomlinson hill' (doubtful since it's not even an official city).

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wow. Thanks. I'll write that down.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But can you dance to it?

12. Race card! Race card!

Draft saved Draft deleted