1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veronica Mars: The Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Mar 14, 2014.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Any other marshmallows seeing it today, either in the theatre or on demand?

Might just be the adrenaline talking, but having waited for this for years, I thought it was fucking great. Rob Thomas nailed it. And it set up the next season on Netflix nicely.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I did see it today.

I also saw it last night.

SUCK IT, BYH.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That's what I thinking too. They can take whatever is coming out in the books that will follow and just run with it on a digital distribution platform (if it sells well that is).

I wasn't totally blown away by the movie, but it had its moments. Granted I had not seen the original series in a few years, but as I recall Veronica in season three wasn't all that pleasant to be around and I picked up on some of that vibe in the early part of the movie. Enrico Colantoni seemed like he phoned in his performance a bit. There was also nothing for Dick Casablancas to do and a lot of his scenes seemed even more over-the-top than usual.

Mac and Wallace were the best adult versions of their characters.

4. imjustagirl

I feel like I disagree with every single aspect of that review except how awesome Mac and Wallace are.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You are a loser.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes but that's irrelevant. Stay on topic and have a happy Veronica Mars: The Movie Day.

I agree with that, but was she ever that pleasant to be around? She had plenty of reasons for her coarseness, but other than Mac, she wore out her best friends throughout the series. Remember when she demanded Wallace get revenge for his girlfriend embarrassing her re: the boob cream? "It's your world. We're just living in it." She alienated Eli and Logan at times, too.

(Or I may just be projecting how I feel about Kristen Bell on to Veronica. Stunningly gorgeous woman with charisma in spades, but her self-important streak is off the charts. Hey Kristen, guess what? You can protest the paparazzi taking photos of celebrity's kids all you want. Nobody's actually ever going to take pictures of your kid.)

Anyway, I thought it was a very smart, satisfying movie. And it sounds like it's going to do well enough to warrant either a sequel or a continuation of the TV show, so yahooooo.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was very happy with the movie. It exceeded my expectations, and I'd definitely consider going to see it again in theaters. Piz's Buffy joke might be the only time I've ever found him funny. Also, I always appreciate a reference to That Mitchell and Webb Look. It was generally a nerd's paradise.

Interesting to see that Roman became less creepy but a much worse person since quitting his catering work.

8. imjustagirl

And became more normal looking.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A side note: I used to work for Kristen Bell's dad. The guy who plays her dad on "Veronica Mars" looks remarkably like him.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I laughed at BYH getting all red in the face about Kristen Bell wanting privacy.

Also, I laughed at much of the movie, which far exceeded my expectations.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The blatant advertising was amusing. (Samsung, Pepsi, Budweiser...to name a few)

I don't remember "Bonnie" in the series at all. But I see "Carrie Bishop" was in two episodes, although I don't remember her at all (even though Leighton Meister played her). I have to go hit the utubes.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

She had a major plotline in one of the episodes, where Adam Scott played a teacher who was accused of sexting one of the students.

Draft saved Draft deleted