1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vermeil and Steve Stone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeff_Rake, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Jeff_Rake

Jeff_Rake Member

After watching Dick Vermeil broadcast the game Sunday Night, I was blown away with how good he and Jaws were. Vermeil was unbelievable. He stayed out of the game and provided viewers with real insight -- and he actually injected some humor (Parker) ... and Gallery ("he switched positions, which has thrown him off, because his tattoos are on the wrong side now.")

I just thought it was great. I could listen to him all day though.

And I also caught a Steve Stone telecast recently, and it was one of the first times I've watched him since his days at WGN. There's another guy that just really adds to the broadcast (though some of you might disagree).

Anyways, who would be up for seeing:

Nessler/Vermeil/Jaworski replace Tirico/Theismann/Kornheiser

And have Gary Thorne and Steve Stone replace Jon Miller and Joe Morgan on SNB. To me, that'd be a viewer's dream.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I like Nessler and Jaws is OK. Didn't hear Vermeil, but I know he'd do better than "Theesman." But I do like Tirico.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Shit, Stevie Wonder would describe what he's seeing better than Theesman.

4. Amen to that. Early in the second half of the MNF game, Brad Johnson makes not one but two lazy, looping throws that should have been picked off by the Redskins if Sean Taylor would look up for the ball instead of trying to take the receivers head off. Both Joey T. and TK criticize the throws. Five/Six plays later, when he hits Marcus Robinson for a TD, Theesman gushes over Johnson's accuracy and how "he never makes a bad throw."
    What a moron. Does he even listen to himself?

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Totally agree on Stone. If my network acquires a MLB package, he's the first guy a call to offer the No. 1 analyst's job. Him and Tony Kubek have been the only guys I've learned something from when watching a baseball game.

The Bob Brenly of Fox was quite good. The Bob Brenly of WGN, not so much.

Totally disagree on Tirico. Could not stand him on ESPN's college football broadcasts. He is much better in a studio.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I thought the 'MNF' B squad was vastly superior to the A squad.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Let's not forget, Vermeil has done this before.
    He was pretty doing college football before going to S. Louis.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At ABC Vermeil was teamed with Brent 2nd team college football analysts behind Jackson and Griese.

Vermeil was so good that he made it ok to have to listen to Brent for 3 hours.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Vermeil and Stone have stuff in common: Neither are loud, bombastic "know-it-alls." They prove the low-key approach works with a dash of humor and a whole hell of a lot of knowing what you're talking about.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My favorite Jaworski moment came here at SportsJournalists.com, IIRC.

At the NFL Draft, Jaws was talking about how, in viewing tape on Cutler, he watched every throw he made while at Vanderbilt. Some ungodly number of throws. And as someone here said: "I don't doubt that for one second."

Probably funnier at the time.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd like to correct myself and say that Vermeil was 'pretty good' when he did college football.
    I'm not saying Vermeil's not a good looking guy. I just wanted to clarify.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Stone teamed with Marty Brennaman next year to fill the Reds' radio vacancy ...

Draft saved Draft deleted