1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verlander's $3,000 chocolate milk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

From AOL's The Fanhouse blog:

"I wanted a chocolate milk that cost 50 cents, and I didn't have the money," Verlander, 24, told Sports Illustrated. "So I said, 'How about I give you 0.1 percent of my pro signing bonus if you give me 50 cents now?' He found a napkin, wrote it up, and I signed it.

"I forgot about it, but after I signed [with the Tigers], he comes over and whips out this old napkin. I'm like, oh my God! My bonus was 3-point-something million.

"Was a chocolate milk worth $3,000? I want to say yes. I was parched."

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

That was in SI a few weeks ago.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And in Sporting News last summer.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

This is pretty good chocolate milk. I don't know if it's worth $3,000, but it's pretty good chocolate milk.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And in other news, they say this guy Leyland won't amount to much as a catcher but still could have a future in baseball

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I heard Koufax is throwing a perfect game. Did I just jinx it?

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I heard that this kid out of Baltimore, George Herman Somethingorother, is a pretty good ballplayer. Southpaw that can pitch pretty good. Also knows what to do with a bat, too.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the increase in home runs by individual players might be caused by outside drug use.

Anyone want to follow up on that thought?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I had never read that story before.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sidd Finch rules! He's a Hall of Famer for sure!

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm having trouble while working on a feature about some guy named Doubleday.
    Anyone know if he has a Myspace page?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hate to get serious, but I actually once wrote a feature about Doubleday and baseball's origins. Most people know that the "Doubleday invented baseball" story is BS, but for all anyone knows he may never have even seen a baseball game... although he was a civil war officer and baseball games were popular among troops (part of how the game spread and regional rules became more solidified), so he probably did at least know of the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted