1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A RANT:

Today my wife and I go to Verizon to go get new iPhone 4s's. Our information said it was time for an upgrade. We have a family plan with her name as the primary. When we get to the store, it seems she is eligible to get a new phone at the best price, and I am not for another month. They'd happily sell me one for full retail or whatever. We got our previous phones on the same day on the same plan. They wouldn't budge. I even know one of the guys in the store very well and went to him to work some magic. He tried, but the computer system wouldn't let him make changes. It was not a decision at the local level.

I realize I'm a poor schmuck that covers sports for a living and do not have an MBA from an Ivy League school, but I'm pretty sure when a customer is standing there cash in hand ready to purchase a product you have on the shelf and sign a new two-year contract for a more expensive plan and you tell them to go away and come back later, that's not real good business.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

That's why I switched to AT&T. But will probably switch to Sprint once my contract is up for a way cheaper plan.

3. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Shoeless Joe-- that happened with my wife and I a couple years ago at Verizon. The clerk went about the transaction by the rules (I was eligible for the upgrade but she wanted the new and better phone). So I got the new phone and then the clerk went into the computer and just swapped phone numbers on the phone. Hope everything works out on your end.

4. Shoeless Joe

The guy I know tried to do that, but the computer wouldn't allow it. He said even the store manager can no longer over ride the system. He told me to call customer service, which I did. The lady I spoke to tried to change things in the computer and so did her supervisor. It wouldn't take it.

According to Verizon, it's Apple that puts the block on it because we are on the family plan. I guess I buy that. What benefit is it to Verizon to NOT make a sale? If I was two months into a phone and wanted to change just for the heck of it, maybe I can see that. The crazy thing is my wife and I got our old phones at the same time.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

When I upgraded to an iPhone I called Verizon a couple days before my actual upgrade date. They told me the only phone they couldn't do it early for was the iPhone. It sucked but I was willing to wait.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I waited three months after I first became eligible for an upgrade -- and I'm certainly not regretting it now. I'm loving this phone, and I've barely messed with all the functions yet.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm stuck with this WinMo 6.5 stinkbomb of a phone for another eight months. My mom can get a deal through her workplace for Verizon, so this may be the direction we're headed (we have a family plan, though we live 100 miles apart).

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have a family plan with my parents and we live 350 miles apart.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't use my phone nonstop, but my old Droid Eris would need charging after 58 hours of use. Finally, after 34 hours since last charging, I plugged in the iPhone again.

10. Shoeless Joe

I've been reading where Apple's stock is down or something ... didn't meet earnings mark or whatever.

Here's an idea: when a customer is standing there trying to buy your merchandise, sell it to them!

JUSTICE! ;)

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My Droid 2 won't last through the day without a charge if I actually use it, even for a few short calls or checking email.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Hell my BB won't make it a day as much as I use it.

Draft saved Draft deleted