1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verizon customer service: Fail

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 22, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nice to see Verizon's got such a big heart going there. They can't even be persuaded to possibly save a man's life without forcing the people searching for him to bribe the company?

Real nice.<blockquote>A 62-year-old Carrollton area man was found unconscious and unresponsive Thursday morning during an intense search overnight by Carroll County sheriff deputies, an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper and the patrol’s airplane.

Two K-9 units, several fire departments and 100 individuals on foot also were involved in the search for the man, who Sheriff Dale Williams said fled his residence on Kensington Rd. after a domestic disturbance call to deputies. …

Williams said he attempted to use the man’s cell phone signal to locate him, but the man was behind on his phone bill and the Verizon operator refused to connect the signal unless the sheriff’s department agreed to pay the overdue bill. …

“I was more concerned for the person’s life,” Williams said. “It would have been nice if Verizon would have turned on his phone for five or 10 minutes, just long enough to try and find the guy. But they would only turn it on if we agreed to pay $20 of the unpaid bill. Ridiculous.”

Williams said he doesn’t know how close the situation was to becoming a tragedy because he’s not a doctor, but he thinks the man’s condition was very serious. </blockquote>http://www.timesreporter.com/homepage/x862899385/Unconscious-Carroll-man-found-after-11-hour-search

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Normally, I'm pretty sympathetic to businesses who have a moment or two or bad customer service, but yeah, that's a pretty huge Fail.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's fucking ridiculous. I bet someone at Verizon gets fired over this.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

From my experience with Verizon, my guess is the opposite. Meet the new employee of the month.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

One of my associates just had problems getting Verizon to connect his Internet service. Granted this is about 10 million times worse.

Verizon customer service just reeks of epic fail. And to think, I interviewed for a part-time position with their call center earlier this year.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yikes. Just have some common sense customer service guy ...

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I'm reading it right, the customer service guy was more or less extorting the police. He wasn't saying "I need the bill caught up to turn it on," he was saying "Pay me a little of the bill and I'll turn it on for a few minutes." That's just bizarre.

Rick
    (Who has a little experience with getting his Verizon phone shut off at inopportune times).

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the sheriff's department is well within reason to find the appropriate Verizon executive and tell them, "Your ass is going to jail right now if we don't see a little more cooperation."

9. Just subscribed to the Verizon version of the triple play, dumping DirecTV. Biggest mistake I could have made, based on the customer service alone. I have been on the phone with them at least five or six times in the month or so that I have had the service, and each time gets more and more frustrating. One story . . . was on the phone for another erason with verizon, and while I was on with a tech person, explained a problem I had with my favorites option on my remote. Guy didn't seem to understand why it wasn't working, and tried to convince me it was a problem with my router. Ended up yelling at the guy because of my frustration after an hour on the phone. Then my wife, who used the remote less than I had, said, why were you yelling. When I told her, she said "Oh, you just do this . . ." Fixed it. Tell me why a trained verizon tech person couldn't fix it, but my wife could. Just oen story of many as to why Verizon is worthless, and I am DirecTV bound after my contract is up.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Had no idea verizon was so notorious for bad customer service. Glad i balked at dumping sprint for them. I've had no problems (knock on wood) with sprint.

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Ha. What the fuck ever. If that's the case, I'm telling my wife to tell these rich assholes that come into her store to go fuck themselves.

(She's with the wireless side, not the landline or fios, btw)

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't understand how some people are taking two different stances on this topic. If Verizon cares more about a few lousy cell phone payments then someone's life, then that's pretty cold.

Period.

Draft saved Draft deleted