1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verizon buys Alltel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 5, 2008.

1. rascalface

rascalface Member

I don't like Verizon, so I guess it's time to switch to AT&T. Prices are rumored to be dropping on the iPhone next week after the Apple developer's conference, so we'll see how that goes.

Which brings to mind one of my favorite commercials of yesteryear...
    "You're not dealing with AT&T"
    "Well I am now!"

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Alltel Arena was the place where the NCAA blocked the local wireless signal during the tournament.
    It forced the press guys to buy the NCAA access or file from their hotel, which is what many did.

3. He brought the 'chucks!

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

I used to have AT&T and recently switched to Alltel. So far, Alltel has been much better.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Wonder what this does to the Alltel sponsorship on Ryan Newman's NASCAR entry? The deal expires at the end of the year, so it may not matter.

On the other hand, this might give Newman a sponsor that actually offers cellular service at the site of 3 major NASCAR events a year (Alltel doesn't serve Daytona Beach).

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That reminded me of the above.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Doesn't matter. If you don't have Sprint, you're not getting a call out of that infield on race days.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Come and get your love.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

It has to end with the geeks bringing in Verizon's "Can you hear me now?" guy to finish the job on Chad, no?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That Verizon asshole is like Night Of The Living Dead. It started with one undead and multiplied into millions. How many people does that dweeb have following him around now? He's got a bigger posse than Jay-Z.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone cares:
    Alltel owns naming rights for include Alltel Arena, North Little Rock, Ark.; Alltel Center in Mankato, Minn.; Alltel Ice Den in Scottsdale, Ariz.; Alltel Pavilion at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Va.; and Alltel Stadium at Winona State University in Winona, Minn.
    Verizon owns naming rights to Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.; Verizon IMAX theaters in Natlick, Mass., and Reading, Mass.; Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, N.H.; and amphitheaters and music centers in several cities across the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted