1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verducci/Torre and journalism ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Maybe this has been tossed around already, so apologies if so.

But is there any concern about Verducci writing a book with Torre, in essence having a business partnership with someone he covers as SI's lead baseball writer?

I can't see how he wouldn't have to cover the Dodgers at some point this season or the next or the next. I mean, I don't think Hendrick Hertsberg or Joe Klein is going to be ghosting an Obama memoir while the guy's still in office.

Am I being too much of an ethics stickler here?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Yes.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - judging by how Verducci dealt with Roger Clemens. we know he has a track record of playing soft with those that he has a business relationship with.

I take anything he writes now with a grain of salt.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

yep, i would have problems with it.
    fraid he couldn't remain objective if he covered the dodgers on a regular basis. or maybe even an intermittent basis.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Strong.

From what I've heard, SI writers are supposed to take leaves of absence when they work on books. Obviously, Verducci hasn't been gone at all. So I'm not sure whether that policy came into existence after he completed his project or whether it was in place already but not adhered to in his case.

Ethically, that is the best way to handle it: You're on leave while you do the book and then, depending on your relationship with the subject, your beat might change afterward.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ethics-schmethics

These guys could not give less of a shit about them.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Isn't it fairly common for sports writers to partner up with a famous coach/athlete to write a book?

"Think Like A Champion," by Mike Shanahan/Adam Schefter, for example.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I have an entire bookshelf of Bills-related books -- go figure, right? -- and almost every one of them was written by someone from either the Buffalo or Rochester newspaper. Vic Carucci did Jim Kelly's autobiography in 1992, while he was still the primary beat writer for The News.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

There are 100s -- if not thousands -- of books that fall into that category, pseudo. I don't have a problem with it as long as the relationship remains professional and both parties understand that. Just because Verducci wrote a book with Joe Torre doesn't mean he'll lob him softball questions every time they have an encounter.

At least I'd hope not.

10. i don't even know where to start with this one

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Agreed, Bullwinkle, and I've never seen any of the writers I mentioned be anything less than objective in their beat coverage.

Does it bear watching, though? Sure it does.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not to mention the issue of sitting on the material that's going to be the hook for the book.

Draft saved Draft deleted