1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Venus Dynasty?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by footballworld, Jul 6, 2007.

1. KP

KP Active Member

The initial post was strictly about Wimbledon.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Along with a comparison to Serena followed by several posts wondering who is better or offering an opinion. All I did was post their stats.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Serena won a "Serena Slam." She won the French, Wimbledon and U.S. Open one year, then won the Australian Open to start the next year. I believe her string of Slams ended with the Henin incident at the French.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's never too early for a pack of Newports and some Hennessey and OJ

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh God! Not another dynasty argument!

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Neither of the Williams sisters have had dynasties. Perhaps its because they excelled at the same time and took titles away from each. Perhaps its because of the myriad injuries. Perhaps it was the extracurricular activities (namely for Serena). Nonetheless, both players have been very, very good, but they have not been dynastic.

Otherwise, Venus wouldn't have entered All England two weeks ago as the 23rd seed.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or as Luke Jensen said on a telecast the other day:
    "Imagine how good they could have been if they actually had a coach who knew what he was doing instead of their father."

And while you ponder a non-existent "Venus dynasty," remember this.. Federer is on his way to 5 in a row.

You want Wimbledon dynaties...Borg, Sampras, Federer...Nobody else.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Thank you, I was worried for a second there.

If Venus can win her fourth in seven years that would be impressive, but to think, she lost five Slam finals to Serena out of six tournaments between 2002-2003. They both could've had a lot more if not for each other.

But they won a lot, made a lot of money and did it without being forced to play the grinding schedules that the other top women play.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Serena got fat and let Venus back in.

Serena, in condition, could not be beat.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yep. Totally agree with all of this.

11. Unlike Roddick, when Venus gets an opportunity, she grabs it and runs.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Definetely a dynasty for Venus and Wimbledon. She has proven in her years of play on grass court that she dominates and she can hardly be tested. She is my favourite tennis player because of her aggressiveness and lack of fear on the court. She has mastered the grass court and I think there will be a few more titles in years to come for her.

Draft saved Draft deleted