1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Venturing into the pros... Now what?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FireJimTressel.com, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sleeping with the players, still recommended.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

My advice: Don't neglect the preps stuff. Have fun with the pros, but your preps is your ticket to quickest advancement.

3. DENNY

DENNY Guest

Why is it that as soon as someone gets a new job he comes to this site asking what he needs to do to get his next job?

WTF?

4. 85bears

85bears Member

Because they are realists and understand what a rat race to the top this is. And because they don't want to make $18K forever. Who can blame them?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The real problem is all they can see is "How can I get good pro clips."
    How about doing your job well ... whether it's high schools, youth leagues or pros ... writing every story as well as you can, and suddenly finding out -- surprise, surprise -- you've compiled some good clips without even realizing it.

Just do your job -- whatever it is -- to the best of your ability.

6. 85bears

85bears Member

Agreed. But I can empathize with they position they are in - this business tells you that rec stuff, preps, etc. is so important, then it pays those jobs peanuts.

But I'm a huge advocate of doing your job to the best of your ability - meaning the job you were hired to do. If you're a cashier at Walgreen's, do the best job you possibly can that day at being a cashier at Walgreen's.

7. DENNY

DENNY Guest

I understand how much this profession sucks to get into and to advance in.

I've been struggling with that for years and it will probably be the reason I choose to do something else soon.

My problem is with the people who start a job and are immediately worried about the next step. Just do the best job you can do, and work every day to improve so you can get better. Focus on the job you're doing today and not the next possible step. If you are good enough, you'll get a chance. If you're always thinking about the next stop in your career, chances are you'll miss whatever opportunity you have in front of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted