1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Venezuela President Hugo Chavez is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

maybe they used Diebold voting machines & had Ken Blackwell working for his campaign. </PresidentialElection2000>

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dennis Rodman.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From NYT story:

Mr. Chávez, 58, changed Venezuela in fundamental ways, empowering and energizing millions of poor people who had felt marginalized and excluded. But his rule also widened society’s divisions, and his death is sure to bring vast uncertainty as the nation tries to find its way without its central figure.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I've always thought the name Hugo Chavez sounded as if it could belong to a light-hitting shortstop. In fact, I bet thousands of roto baseball owners are now concerned, fearing that this news means they must scratch one name off their farm team draft wish list.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Imagine his shock when he meets the devil and it looks nothing at all like George W. Bush.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gerry Callahan ‏@GerryCallahan

Ahmadinejad is dialing 1-Joe-4-Oil as we speak. It's not every day that a useful idiot like Joe K hits free agency.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good take here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/03/chavez-wasnt-just-a-zany-buffoon-he-was-an-oppressive-autocrat/273745/

What struck me, though, were two passages that could be used to describe the modus operandi of the modern American liberal in defense and praise of the politicians he/she supports:

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Too easy, AQB. He won 55 percent of the vote in 2012. That's not banana republic/Hussein-like numbers.

Having said that, I don't deny election fraud at all, but I guarantee that election fraud goes both ways in Venezuela. The monied classes in Venezuela hate Chavez with a passion. My guess is that a lot of palms are greased on both sides of the ledger.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not to wade into forbidden political territory here... but hey, you started it..

YGB, you really think that's in any way limited to any particular political ideology? That's just basic political discourse these days. I could rattle off examples pinning that on conservatives, and I'm sure you could do it regarding liberals.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Now how about we finish it?

11. joe

joe Active Member

Is that sweater for a baby or just a little person?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

RIP, li'l dictator.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted