1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegas TV anchor plays PR pimp

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anchor promotes boyfriend's PR services to company that is subject of station expose.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/sep/12/news-anchors-heads-called-judgment-lapse/

A co-worker of mine didn't see the problem in this. I have to silently say "Wow", because the lack of ethics doesn't seem to be an issue for some.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She should be fired.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Say that under your own name, you coward.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ace says she should be fired and the boyfriend should have made the calls his own damnself.

5. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

While unethical - pretty smart clever.

Can anyone think of a better "get rich quick" scheme? You investigate local businesses for "shady" business and then, before you go to the public with it, recommend a service (offered by your partner) that would keep the heat off your back.

Damn smart if you ask me.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's an ignorant post.

7. How is this not criminal? Extortion?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why are you defending the anchor and do so under your real name.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Robbing banks is pretty smart, too, if you don't get caught.

You know what would be smart? The anchor letting boyfriend know what businesses are going to get hammered and boy toy making the calls himself.

10. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Yea, I forgot to make my font blue....

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry, Q. Didn't get the blue.

12. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

All good, really my mistake.

All I know is I spent the last seven years of my life covering "crazy" news from around the country and I have seen a lot of schemes. This one is right up there. The amazing part is usually the "get rich quick" schemes involve something that is illegal. Robbing a bank is a great example. In Tampa a few years back a strip club decked out an RV with poles and disco-teks then decided to serve beer and offer "extra entertainment" in the back and took it to a Bucs preseason game - another example. Both illegal. Both would make a lot of money, really fast.

This one, while I think Evil may be on to something, at plain sight doesn't seem to be illegal - just unethical.

So the sarcasm was there - but there is some truth to ever joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted