1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegas bound. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Peytons place, Jan 12, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Golden Nugget has a shark tank with a water slide running through it. Pretty awesome.

(I know you were talking about a different kind of scenery :) )

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My dad got on their VIP list somehow. We got this invitation for "The Summer Stag Party." We decided to go. We checked in and they gave us this information pamphlet. I started looking it over and discovered that everything we did in the hotel was comped, except gambling and gift shop.
    The first night we went to their best restaurant, had lobster and an expensive bottle of wine. Just signed for it. The next night, the Summer Stag Party was, uh, as you'd expect. A bunch of middle-age guys trying to be hip. Open bar. They had some showgirl types walking around, jiggling their tits and smiling. The buffet was really good. The whole thing was stupid, but, well, free.
    Wasn't having much luck at the tables, so I sat in the lounge, listening to a kickass band, playing $1 keno and drinking free Heineken.
    I miss the Maxim.

3. The best pool scenery is a slam dunk: Hard Rock. Palms and Mandalay pretty solid also.

This may sound snooty but I've been to Vegas about eight times in the past five or six years and I stayed at different places on the strip the first five trips. After that, my friends and I decided we'd stay at the Bellagio every time thereafter. Now, I haven't been out there since the Palazzo opened up but for my money, the Bellagio is worth every penny. The rooms are great, the location is perfect, they have the best sports book in Vegas (free unlimited drinks, no drink tickets, plush leather chairs) and you can find $10 tables anytime you want. In addition, their concierge service has, on multiple occasions, hooked me up with terrific deals on tickets as well as difficult reservations at various places to eat.

As for the rest, I don't have much advice since I only go to Vegas with my buddies and have never done the couples thing. But I'm quite sure the Bellagio is a good destination for that as well.

Oh, one more thing. If you like really excellent Italian food for a good price check out a place called Battista's Hole in the Wall. It's back behind the Flamingo and is a Vegas institution.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I highly recommend the Crazy House Paris show at MGM. Quality entertainment for the whole family! You can get cheap tickets at those discount kiosks on the strip.

5. playthrough

What did you like about Sienna? I'm open to golf suggestions for the March bachelor party I'm helping put together.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Got another "Rewards" e-mail today with the March rates for the Harrah's properties.

While looking it over, it popped into my stupid-ass brain why the rates for the Imperial Palace seemed unreasonably high. It's the first weekend of March Madness. All the sports books will be packed. I don't bet on sports.
    Anyway, there was a better rate for the IP -- $77 a night -- but Rio, Bally's, Flamingo and Harrah's are all $107, Paris is $177. I'll probably re-book into the Rio or Harrah's.

7. j27roenick

j27roenick New Member

My bachelor party is that first week of March Madness. I got an amazing deal on three rooms, for four nights each, for ~$115 a night at The Wynn. I was pretty proud of myself on that one. And, if you love Vegas, you need to go during that first March Madness weekend at least once in your life. It's surreal. All the sports books are packed watching games, and people live and die with each bucket, even if the game is out of reach, because the spread was just covered. Just do enough searching until you find something that is in your price range. All the usual Web sites should be able to help if you look hard enough.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've never done that. For some reason that is a busy time at work. But that does sound like something I need to do.

$115 sound great for The Wynn.

9. playthrough

With the crowds and games starting at 9 a.m. local time, do people park themselves in seats the night before? I'm guessing you're not getting a comfy chair at the Mirage at 8 a.m. Thursday morning.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i like to gamble downtown -- low table stakes and a neat old vegas vibe. Probably not much fun for the younger set, though.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Try the Wynn. You feel rich just walking through the place. Greatest night club ever. Indoor waterfall. Sluts everywhere.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

P.S. I got a great deal from Expedia and stayed at the Flamingo. Gotta stay on top of prices. I've been searching for good deals for two months for my return trip in may. Prices aren't good right now, they will get better eventually.

Draft saved Draft deleted