1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vanity plates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 26, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Virginia has more than the other 49 states combined.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm glad this is a known trend. Holy fuck, Virginia.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's only like $10 a year for the plate.

One guy I work with seems to get the plate for $10, take it off, hang it in his garage and then get a new one. They don't ask you for the plates back unless you want like a $5 refund or something like that.

My father-in-law got a vanity plate for my wife years ago. It read "ISGNFU."

He thought people would read it as "I sign for you" since my wife knows sign language.

My wife didn't like it. He still has the plate.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've had vanity plates once. And I've been dared to get RG3-related plates. Pondering it.

5. One of the writers / producers of the movie Airplane had a vanity plate that said "BOBS MG". People would stop at a red light and yell over to him, "That's not an MG." He'd reply, "That's OK. I'm not Bob."

All that way just for the occasional punchline. Genius.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Someone in a neighborhood near mine, on my dog-walking route: "OUR BENZ"

Act like you've been there before!

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That is fantastic.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's about the best reason ever to get a vanity plate.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My best friend in high school (driving his dad's car at the time) had TI 3VOM, which is MOVE IT in a rear-view mirror.

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

So you're the Ass Man?

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

See, states that require a front license tag can do that.

They're glorified bumper stickers. Some, as the content of this thread shows, are better than others.

12. My dad works for the government and said he passed a car in Maryland with a vanity plate for about a year before figuring out what it meant. The plate read:

3D4D2DT

He said it took him about a year to figure out the Ds stood for DITs in morse code.
    3 DITs = S
    4 DITs = H
    2 DITs = I

So it was morse code for SHIT. He said he laughed for about 10 minutes when he finally figured it out.

I have one, too. In Pennsylvania it's a one-time $20 fee to get one, and it's much easier to remember than what my other plates were.

Draft saved Draft deleted