1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vanity Fair on Tinder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 13, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I know, I know. It was just too easy.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I also found the lack of any discussion about STDs interesting. Once you start reading about how these guys claim to have hooked up with "30 or 40" women off Tinder in a year, I had to wonder what kind of medications they now have to take.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Probably none, because they're all full of shit.

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That was my next thought.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I haven't read the story, plan to tonight, but does it explicitly say they don't use protection? Seems like that's a standard thing now as opposed to when we were younger.

As for the hook-ups themselves, I'm inclined to believe it's exaggeration of the number, but the true number is something we'd find to be a foreign concept too. If he says 30-40 in the past year, it's probably more like 10-12, but even that is a life I don't recognize either from myself or any of my friends.

JC likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'd bet you anything it's closer to that number than the other way.

It is so much easier for people to hook up than it's ever been. I'm not sure why the number is so unbelievable.

7. MisterCreosote

Those quotes read like freqposter, himself a parody, outsourced his shtick to the worst script writer in Hollywood.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I should preface this with I haven't read the full article but the number of partners does not seem unbelievable to me. I could easily see some of old friends hitting this number if they had of had the technology back them.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone who's over 40 grew up in an era where the hook-up was not too common. Not unheard of by any means, but not common. If you look at the data especially regarding women that age, the most common number of lifetime sexual partners is one or two. For men it's something like five or six.

That's simply not the case anymore. People are getting down with more people. The numbers are sketchy (for the obvious LYING!!!! reason), but there are some numbers out there that men on average get into double digits and women on average get to six or eight. A decent percentage of women go into double digits too, way more than 25 years ago anyway.

When I was growing up, you'd definitely think less of a woman who had six or seven partners by her mid-20s. Of course, that wasn't fair or right, but it was unmistakeably the culture. I'm not sure exactly where the age cutoff is, my guess is around age 35 or so now (which would mean people were in high school for Clinton/Lewinsky and the rise of the Internet), but there was a time where all of the sudden it got a lot easier to get laid.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with your point but the number of partners for people in there 40's is way low.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

12. MisterCreosote

I don't doubt some guys achieve those numbers. I doubt these guys, or any guys who talk like the guys quoted in the article, do.

Draft saved Draft deleted