1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vancouver Olympics Credentials

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by urgrad2004, Jan 16, 2010.

1. urgrad2004

urgrad2004 Member

Earlier this week a member of the USOC media relations department said they are out of credentials, but have accepted a large number of returns from holders who are not attending the Olympics because of budget problems. I have several freelance assignments, but will not be able to follow through on them now (realize it's late in the game)

Anyway, if anyone has a credential and have changed their plans on going to the Olympics, I'd be willing to purchase it for a good price. I don't know if it's against USOC rules, though. It might set a bad precedence by selling credentials. Thanks.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about out and out selling the thing.
    My last act before leaving the paper was to arrange for a freelancer to cover the Olympics. The USOC agreed to let him use the credential that was in our name. That made it easier for him to sell his services to others - it worked out well for the paper. Not sure how he did with other work.
    It was Jay Weiner, who covered many a Games for the Minneapolis paper (and covered them well).

In short, the USOC is indeed open to papers hiring freelancers and granting a credential.

Draft saved Draft deleted