1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Valor Blind

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 17, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We'll wait 25 years for the Marine to run for President then your side can swiftboat him so he'll be sure to get lots of media coverage for being unworthy of a Navy cross.

3. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

you're a class act TV

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Remember the Pat Tillman "story" originally put out by the government? How about Jessica Lynch? There are clearly people over there putting their lives on the line and doing heroic things, but I sure don't trust the goverment to tell me who they are and what they did.

And if the person who drew up that cartoon doesn't grasp why Haditha is an enormous story, he's not very bright.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Me either, which is why it makes me uncomfortable when many of the Big Media types all insist on covering Iraq, for example, from their hotel rooms.

6. joe

joe Active Member

After the media effectively turned public opinion against the Vietnam War, the government wasn't about to let that happen again. Hence, the reporting on this debacle in Iraq.

7. Complete bullshit.
    Go tell it to Bob Woodruff's family, or the the families of the CBS crew. This is the most dangerous war in history to cover, because the country isn't secure, the militias are running everything, including the government, and we can't even secure anything in Baghdad except the Green Zone, and the WaPo has a good story today on what's going on there.
    Smarter monkeys, please.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

hejira, FB is right about this. people covered the first gulf war from their hotel room. you've got to be kidding if you think war correspondents are covering this war from a safe place. do you even pay attention to the news? no part of the country is even remotely safe.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If only the media would go show the good things. Get out and show how great they are! [/Jill Carroll]

10. That said, I'm, not sure I agree with the point of the cartoon. The major media bit for anything the Pentagon sold them for an awfully long time -- it was the Pentagon that put out the bullshit stories on both Jessica Lynch and Pat Tillman -- including the embed program, which was pretty much an informercial for the Army. Acts of individual heroism were celebrated all over local and national news -- isn't CBS News still doing "tributes To The Fallen" at the end of every nightly newscast. There's more bad news being covered because the war has more of it. And let's not forget that we now have memos in which the Army describes the psy-ops plans aimed not at Iraq, but the homefront.
    "What about the good news?" is the same stuff they pulled during the Vietnam unpleasantness. The final bullshit on it was called by the guys who ccame back.

Draft saved Draft deleted