1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am happily married, but listen to me carefully:

You have nothing to feel "like shit" about. Today or any day, regarding this. Married life has its advantages. But so does single life. Neither is a reflection on your value as a person. At all.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Be sure to ask them if they are on or off their meds. Then take notes, because I am not sure if I would rather have them be on or off of them if I'm going to go after crazy.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The fiance works second shift. I work first shift. So we don't actually see each other today. Our exciting post-valentines day plans for tomorrow: see the Lego Movie.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Why would a single person feel like shit? You're off the hook. You don't have to do shit for anyone. Enjoy it.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Where you'll be almost certain to score.
    So keep your head up.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

My usual routine – watch a good horror movie or two and reflect on the capriciousness of existence.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

It's a reminder of what I don't have. Granted, I'm reminded of that fact quite often, but on this particular day it gets turned up to 11. I want a relationship. I'm ready for that. But every woman around here seems to be married or addicted to meth or complete idiots or all three.
    It just seems like this day is a long parade of couples showing off chocolates and flowers they've collected and talking about their highly romantic plans for the evening with an undertone of "Ha, ha, you don't have this." Maybe that's not intended, but that's the message I take away from it. That's why this is the worst day on the calendar and ultimately I just want it to go away.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sent flowers to the work place.
    Sent 'Walking Dead' Valentine card via phone.
    Bought sweatpants (my sweatpants are not intended to be your oversized pajamas).
    Have dinner tonight. See a movie.

9. Dick Whitman

That's how I feel every time I walk past a crowded bar.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do you miss hanging out in bars?

11. Dick Whitman

I don't miss hanging out in the bars I hung out in.

I was more or less using it as a metaphor for the freedom of being single - and for socializing, generally. I could have said "movie theater" and menat the same thing.

There are advantages to being single. Your time is your own. And it's a waste of time to sit around and mope about it.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I miss hanging out in bars.

Draft saved Draft deleted