1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vacuum cleaner salespersons

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, May 7, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I try not to judge one's job, but this got me curious. A vacuum cleaner salesman visited the house tonight. My wife decided to hear him out while I went back to running on the treadmill in another room. By the time I was finished 45 minutes later, the guy was standing on the devil strip by the road, his $2,600 vacuum by his side, waiting for his ride. I watched him for a minute, feeling a little bad. Sales has to be a brutal job. I know I could never do it.

So, I am curious. Do any of you know anyone who did those kind of gigs, or perhaps did them yourself?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've seen lots of documentaries about these guys. They make it seem like a great job. They come and knock on the door, a woman will answer and ask how the vacuum cleaner sucks up dirt.
    Guy says, "Oh, it sucks a lot of stuff. Cereal, dirt, nails, even ball bearings."
    Woman says, "Ball bearings, huh? What a coincidence..."

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? There are vacuums that cost $2,600? I don't know who the bigger idiot is, the guy trying to sucker someone into buying that, or the sucker who buys it. That guy better have a whole lot of shit to sweep up.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Um, they suck?

Ba-dum-bum... CHING!

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's hard to believe people are still doing that, isn't it? I remember my mom got suckered into buying a $1,000 vacuum from an apparently very convincing door-to-door guy when I was a kid. Dad was not happy about that one.

When I was young, foolish and poor, I answered an ad for this hot sales job with immediate management potential, and it turned out to be basically a pyramid scheme selling knock-off perfume and cologne door to door. There was money to be made, but I quit after a few days out of sheer self-loathing.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My wife's friend's husband sold them during his time at university.

His stories are absolutely hilarious. He knew he was trying to sucker people in all the time. The sales pitches he used, people he met, all that shit, are hilarious.

I used to feel bad for them until I met this guy. He said most only do it for a short while. All of them know its a scam.

They're just telemarketers — only at your door!

The one line he always used was in response to people who said "Well, I have a central vacuum system."

He'd say, that's fine. But that's like trying to suck a glass of Coke down from here to the roadway. It's easy when the Coke is in a glass in front of you. But what happens when it's on the road and your straw is 50 feet long? How easy is it then, huh? How good does it work then?

Just stupid shit all the time, he said.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

We got a free bottle of detergent out of the pitch at least.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, sales....it's a tough racket.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I didn't realise they still had guys doing vacuum cleaner sales door to door. I thought that went the way of the Fuller Brush man.

When I was a kid, there used to be guys selling World Book Encyclopedia's door to door.

I didn't realise until later how mind-numbingly bad they were. Kinda a very poor man's Encyclopedia Britannica.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

... are very happy that the most recent Woot-off item finally sold out.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Door-to-door vacuum cleaner salespeople aren't in it for the money.

They're in it for the trim.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Check this out. Not only is the Fuller Brush man alive and well, he has entered the 21st century: http://www.fuller.com/

I had a guy try to sell me the Encyclopedia Brittanica circa 1994.

He left disappointedly.

Draft saved Draft deleted