1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VaccinateGate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jan 29, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think I am of the anti-vaxx crowd? I didn't just fall off a turnip truck yesterday, you know. My children will receive all recommended/mandated vaccines.

But as you've just demonstrated, Christie has a point. Not every friggin' vaccine, no matter how wonderful it might be, ought to be mandatory. There should be some room for parental latitude.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Based on what, exactly? Because it's sure not based on facts.

P.S. - Not trying to accuse you of anything. Just having a discussion.

3. doctorquant

Costs, benefits ... the usual suspects. In the vast majority of instances, there really should be little room for parental discretion. I am not even sold on religious exemptions, and I'm probably one of the biggest religious freedom types 'round here. Nevertheless, there are disease-vaccine pairs (sorry, can't come up with a better phrase) for which vaccination is relatively costly (or, conversely, confers relatively little benefit). Similarly, there are disease-vaccine pairs for which childhood immunization, while better, isn't substantially better (w.r.t. benefits) than later immunization. Here I believe there is some room for latitude. How much? I don't know. But zero? Sorry, I ain't buying.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Most of the studies done on this show the routine immunization schedule saves a substantial amount of money in both direct and indirect "societal" costs. Like, in the tens of billions of dollars annually. Broken down by each individual vaccine, usually the cost-to-money-saved ratio is at least 1-3, meaning every dollar that goes toward [insert vaccination here] results in $3 savings down the road. Most vaccines perform even better in that regard.

HPV vaccine may be an outlier. We don't really know yet, since it's relatively new. But I think it'll show that it's hard to argue the benefit of preventing at least five different types of cancer and widespread STDs isn't worth the cost.

5. doctorquant

BTW ... I used the words "costs" and "benefits" very, very broadly. Costs include risks of harm, etc. So do benefits. You get the idea.

And, to repeat: I am not arguing the anti-vaxx position (which I think is overwhelmingly stupid). Rather, I'm arguing that Christie's point, taken at face value, is not remotely unreasonable. It's light years more reasonable than the arguments put forward by, among many others, PhDs in neurobiology and lefty political scions who are darlings of the climate change crowd.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Even Christie's walkback language is insidious with his "not all diseases are the same" tack. It's pretty clear how he wants that to be read among his voter base...some diseases, like measles, you should vaccinate for. Others, like HPV...well, only sluts need that vaccine.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is it clear? That seems like an awfully uncharitable reading.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the Republican/Christian position on HPV vaccine, so if it's uncharitable, take it up with The Base.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It is uncharitable. "It's pretty clear" is overstating things. But he's a Republican with presidential aspirations, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think he's already pulling out the dog whistles.

10. doctorquant

Actually, you guys probably should get out a bit more. If Christie's statement reflects political calculations, it was offered up as a warning shot to our esteemed ex-governor here in the Lone Star state. He, you may recall, triggered some of the early Gardasil kerfuffles with his executive orders mandating its administration to 11- and 12-year-old girls.

11. LongTimeListener

Right -- and he got roughed up about it in the primary debates. Most GOPers sided with Bachmann.

It's without question a culturally conservative position and right in the GOP wheelhouse.

12. LongTimeListener

Draft saved Draft deleted