1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Va Tech Shooter sends "images, letter" to NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Apr 18, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Does the Zapruder film encourage would-be assassins?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

UT - The Zapruder film wasn't released for years after the assassination. It first appeared as a series of stills in Life magazine. That said, it's hard to know how many presidential assassination attempts have been inspired by previous attempts. Did Hinckley inspire others? The Secret Service investigates thousands of threats a year, and never reports on how many it actually thwarts.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

terminal

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Because it is almost impossible to take out the president ... and easy to walk into a college classroom?

You are usually sharper on the turns.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Good stuff in Time magazine this week indicating that the tape shows that Cho is essentially a narcissist. So it does answer the "why" question, or at least contribute very strongly to it. Not that we wouldn't have suspected it anyway.

Also a good column that mentions Marilyn Manson's appearance in "Bowling for Columbine" in which he said that those kids just needed someone to listen to them. As the columnist said, and I paraphrase, "Just what two out-of-control narcissists needed - someone else to show them how much more important they were than anybody else."

Really amazing issue put together on the fly.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lugnuts, I was able to iron out a modest case of the stutters prior to age 12 or thereabouts. By-product of multiple ear infections as a child, so we were told. Now I'm no speech pathologist, but I believe a young kid has to exercise that oral motor skill the way any other developmental skill needs to be worked at. And from all accounts, verbal skills weren't something this kid was strenuous about.

You're right, it's not an impediment, it's more a general lag, a "slow frame rate," so to speak.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Totally fair. Thank you.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Any legitimate threat would have to be followed with criminal charges . . . which would not be kept secret.

I'm sure they receive a lot of chatter. But those aren't threats that were thwarted.

Draft saved Draft deleted