1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA hires Tony Bennett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well done, LB ... except for that unnecessary cheap shot. "ESPNCC"? Get over it.

2. Lester, I've read three of your posts on this thread, and they were all spot on. UVa fans -- hell, make that most fans -- won't be satisfied unless their school hires a combination of Red Auerbach and John Wooden. Then they would whine about him being too old.

Bennett is an up-and-comer, young enough to be there a long time. And face it, none of those "name" coaches was coming. Rick Barnes is king of the Big 12 -- no way he gives that up to battle Duke and Carolina. Tubby Smith has now turned down Virginia twice. Capel won't leave OU until K retires. And VCU's Anthony Grant is an SEÇ guy.

Bennett has the makings of being a bold stroke.

3. Sam Mills 51

Barnes: King of the Big XII? Last time I checked, Bill Self just won the title and had the kind of season, given the big personnel losses, that shows that the league isn't Barnes' little personal playground.

Rick Barnes left Clemson because he couldn't take down Duke or Chapel Hill. Might be able to add Wake Forest to that list.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

All that may be true, but I still can't see leaving Texas for Virginia.

5. Sam Mills 51

Why would he? He keeps doing what he does at Austin, he'll continue to get raises and be just fine. They're worried about what Mack Brown is doing around there, not what Rick Barnes is scheming.

Charlottesville isn't delusional, but there's more pressure there. And, given my choice between Barnes and Tony Bennett, Craig Littlepage picked the right man.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, you can way playing this brand of basketball.

It is not fun to watch, it is not fun to play -- and the criticism that players don't want to play that way is valid when you consider the struggle teams that play this way have to land the top talent in the land.

But you are right beggers can't be choosers and my guess is that Virginia fans there will gladly take a long run of consistent 23-28 win seasons, a few big wins a year, go a few rounds in the ACC Tournament but rarely win it and get to the NCAA Tourney but almost never get past the Sweet 16..........

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, I'm sure he realizes what he is getting into. Would you rather play second fiddle to Duke and UNC or to UCLA and Arizona? Obviously, it'll be harder to consistently win 20 games per year in the ACC.

I suspect the money is better is Virginia.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's several steps up from where the Hoos are right now.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Oh c'mon ... my alma mater just lost its Golden Boy and I gotta be nice? My beef is more with ESPN than the ACC and even more with the Pac-10's shitty TV deal, which makes sure the conference's biggest stars toil in anonymity. I just kind of shake my head when ESPN has to cover the whole nation come Selection Sunday and calls one of the best big men in America Jon "Brockton."

That said, none of it is the ACC's fault.

10. Big Circus

Dude, I'm in Virginia and I get several Pac-10 games a week on Comcast SportsNet. Granted, they're at midnight, but that's a function of location. I have no idea what it's like on the West Coast - and the Pac-10 certainly doesn't get as much national run as, say, the Big East - but the fact that I can see Arizona every week on the East Coast says something.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The Pac-10's national exposure should be much, much, much better. Their games are hard to find if you don't know where to look, and that league deserves better in football and basketball.

12. Big Circus

How many N.C. State-Maryland games are shown in California? Most weeks, if I feel like it, I can watch a hoops game along the lines of USC-Oregon right here on my couch in Virginia. I know that a lot of that has to do with the time difference - it makes a lot more sense to show that game at 11 on the East Coast than it does to show Pack-Terps at 4 in California. But the fact remains that it's a West Coast league getting its games shown across the country. Nothing to scoff at.

Any league's games are hard to find if you don't look for them as long as you live outside their geographic area. The one exception is the Big East, a league basically built to get as many games on TV as possible. Maybe the Pac-10 does have a shitty TV deal out west, which I believe is what Lester was arguing to begin with. But nationally, they've got it better than most.

Draft saved Draft deleted