1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Did he hit one in five?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No, it's more like the White Sox losing a game because of poor outfield play, and then the writer ponders, "What is Michael Jordan up to nowadays?"

Jackie has a lot to do with rape culture. That, and the fight against it, is what made the environment ripe for a takeout like this. The visibility of the debate almost certainly prompted Erdely's blanket assumptions of truth, and probably contributed to Jackie's willingness to play along. Erdely certainly wanted to be the voice of the national debate, and it most assuredly was a national debate before this story was even written.

Again, one can acknowledge all of the faults in this situation, and with Jackie and Erdely, and still think rape culture is a serious problem in this country.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Must read for those interested in this story:

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's incredible. It's shocking that people bought that story. It was clearly fake from the first paragraph. Not because gang rapes never happen. But mostly because one person after another spoke like a seventh-grader wrote a play about rape.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there's a lot new in there, but it's still fascinating what a monumental failure this was at every level.

The worst part is Erdely admitting that, if Jackie hadn't panned out, she would've just plugged another source right into the story she had already started writing.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If you questioned the legitimacy of the story on your first reading when it first came out based upon the lack of thoughtful and intelligent prose you would have been labeled a rape loving misogynist

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Point of order: I believe the tell was actually that the prose was TOO thoughtful and intelligent for kids a month removed from high school.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I admit I bought into the story initially, but partially because I've overheard things from UVa girls watching a lacrosse game or eating at Boylen Heights that didn't make the quotes in the story feel all that outlandish.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Go to the start of this thread. Read the posts of PW2. He and I, uh, think alike.

Draft saved Draft deleted