1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utley not talking during his streak?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 4, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

My humble apologies if this is a d_b, but I heard last week he wasn't talking about the streak anymore and the last several wire stories I've read had no Utley quotes.

If he's really not talking, or just channeling Crash Davis, it makes him sound and look like a dope.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If it were me (which is quite a stretch given that I can barely swing a bat these days), I wouldn't talk to the media, either.

Why build the drama when it's probably just going to add pressure and take away from his concentration?

There will be plenty of time for putting it in perspective after the streak is over.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

ok, if he's just not talking about the streak but is talking about other shit, that's fine to me. if he'd cut it off completely, that'd be a pretty dick move. but hell, if he'll talk about individual at-bats and the game, you can still do your job. especially if everyone is aware that he's not talking about the streak.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Why? Dude's superstitious, like a lot of other baseball players, when it comes to streaks. This simply falls in line with who he is on the diamond every day. He will talk about anything else, just not the streak.

And really, when you think about it, not talking to the media about the streak every day would probably help him keep an even keel while the streak is still alive.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bullshit all around.

You're not maintaining a hitting streak because you don't talk to the media or keep wearing the same socks or have the garter belt with the rose in the front.

You're doing it because you're good enough to. Quit hiding behind idiotic superstitions.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Crash Davis: I told him that a player on a streak has to respect the streak.
    Annie Savoy: Oh fine.
    Crash Davis: You know why? Because they don't -- they don't happen very often.
    Annie Savoy: Right.
    Crash Davis: If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you ARE! And you should know that!

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is he just not talking to the media about or is he talking to no one (not even friends, family, teammates, etc.) about it?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To anyone. From the story linked above ...

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I don't have a problem with that. And, if anything, this makes it a more interesting story. Superstition has always been a big part of baseball.

Had a chance to interview him when he was with the Red Barons. On getaway night, the game is halted by a 2+ hour storm and doesn't end until around midnight. While everyone else is rushing around trying to get out as fast as they can, Utley was very accomodating.

One of the nicest pros I've dealt with.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Superstition is Utley's right. But if he does something else extraordinary in a game, like being part of a triple play or hitting three homers, will he discuss THAT?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

From what I read in that linked story, yes. But not the streak.

Draft saved Draft deleted