1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah Jazz beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael_Anastasi, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Michael_Anastasi

Michael_Anastasi New Member

The Salt Lake Tribune is seeking a beat writer to cover the Utah Jazz. This is the news organization’s premier sports beat and the successful applicant’s portfolio and work experience will demonstrate commensurate experience. NBA experience is highly desirable. Other professional sports and/or major college sports experience is a must. The successful applicant understands and has a demonstrated history of multi-platform sports journalism — breaking news online, maintaining a highly successful blog, successfully integrating multiple social networking tools as a normal part of the daily routine while understanding where traditional print fits in the mix. As Utah’s leading news source, The Tribune expects its Jazz writer to break news routinely and set the beat’s agenda. The Tribune places a premium on enterprise and investigative reporting. The Tribune is a consistent APSE Top 10 section, and the successful applicant will have the resources and support to achieve at the highest level. To apply, send a cover letter, resume and appropriate portfolio to Michael Anastasi, Managing Editor, The Salt Lake Tribune, 90 South 400 West Suite 700, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101. For questions, write manastasi@sltrib.com.

2. Wow, that's a pretty big one. Good get for whoever takes it.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is a job to be all over if you think you can get it, for every reason -- premier beat at the paper, lots of play, interest and interaction, lots of chance to generate top-notch work and make the job your own, a great, passionate editor to work for in Anastasi, a good, and good-sized, paper, and a nice place to live, and it's one of the major sports, without being baseball...

Reporting/writing beat opportunities don't get much better than this.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm sure there will be lots of competition for this beat ... both from inside and outside the paper.

Good luck to the person who gets it. It's a lot of work and Ross Siler has done a tremendous job with the beat. Every report I've heard says working for the bosses at the Tribune is a pretty tough task. Very demanding is the soft way to put it.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Idaho, I'm curious. What is very demanding about the Trib bosses?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Where is Ross off to?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hear, hear. It's a good day when a job like this goes up on the board.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Ross is off to law school.

He's worked hard on this beat since he arrived and has done a wonderful job covering the Jazz. He'll leave some awfully big shoes to fill.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

To paraphrase Ed Olczyk... "For all you young journalists out there, just remember that another pretty good opening is bound to come up whenever someone is hired for this gig."

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good for him. Did well on the Lakers beat for the LADN before that.

11. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Ross was a rockstar reporter who never big-leagued anybody. Total class act. Best of luck if you're reading this message board, but knowing you you've probably got a life!

12. dm19

dm19 Member

I did a phone interview with Michael Anastasi once and he was one of the most straightforward Sports Editors I've ever had the chance to speak with. I didn't make it to the next stage of the interview, but I instantly felt the passion he has for his job, as well as the business in the short time I spent speaking with him. From what I hear, the sports department is filled with great writers who are great people.

Draft saved Draft deleted