1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UT beat for Chattanooga

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Greeson, Nov 30, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. 4 years already? Hell, you must be pushing 50 by now.

:)

2. LeftCoastWrite

LeftCoastWrite New Member

Loved Chattanooga when I was there covering the FCS championship. The downtown is one of the best I've been to in any city.

Wes is a tough guy to replace. Great writer, and one of the reasons Twitter is worthwhile, for me.

3. Wes Rucker

Wes Rucker Member

Ignoring Twitter now is like ignoring the web 15 years ago. I suggest embracing it. You'd be amazed how many people these days use Twitter as their primary source for news.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

*Raises hand*

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I'd agree completely. Mr. Ostrich, raise your head from the sand. Print-based people have a hard enough time keeping up with the Web culture. If you don't embrace Twitter, it's your loss, by far. I cover a BCS beat and Tweet constantly throughout games - it's become a second front for news for me. And it's paid off - I see it in the Web referrals we get. Anyone who thinks Twitter isn't a great tool will be left behind. Period.

7. I run a live blog during the games I cover, and I'm actually very tech-savvy. Heck, the online stuff is my generation. Most of the technical stuff, I don't mind doing at all and actually enjoy. Want me to blog? Happy to do it. Think I should have a work-only Facebook page? Sure. Post stories to the Web that won't be in print? Absolutely.

Get on Twitter? If I absolutely have to, I'll do it, but I really don't want to. It has nothing to do with my stance on technology, I just think Twitter is stupid. It's online text messaging, and that's it. We have a lot of great online tools at our disposal now. I don't believe Twitter is one of them.

If you want me interacting with fans during the game, I love doing it. I just want to do it on a blog and in complete sentences. Is that so much to ask?

One other thing: tweeting is something birds do, and it's not capitalized. It's a post. That drives me nuts.

Man, who would have thought my Twitter vendetta would dominate this topic? Can we return to the job?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, because real reporters or whatever are 100 percent accurate. All the time. I bet you get cised for Joe Schad and Thayer Evans.

Anyway....Nooga is a great city. There's a Sticky Fingers BBQ joint in town, too, which helps.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Wes is a good dude. Good luck to him, and I just know Jay hated losing him.
    As for Mr. Greeson ...
    He is absolutely one of my favorite people, not only to have had the pleasure of working alongside but in the world, period. If he ever spent a little more on his short game, look out.
    And the deputy sports editor, Ron Bush, at the TFP is one of the most beautiful human beings ever and as fine a newspaper person around.
    Jay's got a good team around him.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Been there. Used to hate it, but would use it just to try and drive traffic to one of my websites like 4 years ago. Now I'm on it all the time and have some faithful followers always looking for CSU sports updates. It can be a little annoying at times, but it's a great way to break quick news before writing a story.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a reader, I use Twitter as a headline news service and for story URLs.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wanted to add my voice to the chorus of praise for the TFP. Although, the competitor in me still throws up a bit in my mouth when I have to admit my beloved journalistic alma mater, the Times, had to merge with "that other paper, the one with a grammar error for its name" in order to survive.

Also glad to hear Ron Bush is still working strong; I wonder if you can still smell the fresh Moon Pies being baked across the street from the printing plant?

Draft saved Draft deleted