1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USWNT stars accuse U.S. Soccer of wage discrimination in EEOC filing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Mar 31, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A lot of the comparisons I'm seeing seem to be of the apple-orange variety. Have the courts ruled on whether the memorandum of understanding, which apparently expires at the end of the year and contains a no-strike clause, is binding? US Soccer went to federal court in February seeking that determination. If it's ruled invalid, the players would gain huge leverage ahead of the Olympics and should at least threaten a strike. If the court rules against the players union and the memorandum with a no-strike clause remains in force through the end of 2016, their leverage is reduced considerably. We need a ruling from the federal court in Chicago. That's when everything will fall into place.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

They probably make more money than their counterparts in Japan, South Korea and Brazil.......I'm thinking a strike or walking out on a medal game against one of those teams would not go over very well. Especially on the world stage. Disrespectful to those teams and could be spun in those countries to look like more selfish American arrogance.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not so sure underpaid professional athletes would object to other underpaid athletes in the same sport fighting for a big raise. If they struck, FIFA and the IOC would go apeshit. If those are your enemies, you're doing something right.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Surprised no has suggested that the women's team get down on their knees and thank god that American men's players like Alexei Lalas paved the way.

ringer likes this.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think they'd walk out the day before match. Assuming the memorandum is ruled invalid (a pretty big if), there would be negotiations and fair warning with a strike date set, probably weeks before competition begins. Collective bargaining is the most sensible way for this to reach a conclusion and that would ultimately be their hammer -- reach an agreement on a deal or don't play. The key here is that they'd have to be willing to not play. Public sympathy only helps to the extent it puts pressure on US Soccer.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you believe what has been written and said about '96, players were very willing to boycott the Olympics. That included Mia Hamm, who had millions of dollars on the line.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What's the justification for men getting $12.50 more per diem than the women?

ringer likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Their road beef has to eat too, ya know

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Plus those chicks get free drinks from every guy they meet.

old_tony likes this.
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Steaks cost more than salads.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Pay 'em with scholarships
    - NCAA college presidents

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The board has suggested they stage a walk out of a major TV match like the NBA all-stars in '64......which worked because everyone was in the NBA. I don't think it'll work with the USA women because their opponents aren't likely to be down for the cause.

Their dominance has been much stronger at the Olympic level. They went 16 years without winning a World Cup. If I'm Germany or Brazil and the USA doesn't want to play a World Cup medal match, I'm thinking 'Who the F are you to mess with my game?'

Draft saved Draft deleted